Chances of hitting 3Ghz

Hey everyone, I'm currently overclocking my CPU,

Currently 2.80GHz, the temps are the same as when I went past 2.4Ghz. Stock is 2.2Ghz

Multi : 11x

FSB: 255Mhz

HTT: 3x

FSB Ratio: 3/4 (Keeping memory tight at DDR400)

vCore: 1.4v

OCCT Stable, Prime95, SuperPi, and CS:Source!

Just curious what are the chances of getting into the 3Ghz club with this cpu? I haven't seen many benchmarks yet on the newark mobile cores.

Any tips are welcome, as I'm a newcomer to OCing (this is my very first rig I've actually Oc'ed)

Weird, i wonder why my sig wasn't showing up, but here it is anyways!

Specs:

AMD Athlon64 3400+ Mobile (Newark] @ 2.8Ghz (1.45v) 50*C Full Load

DFI Lanparty NF3 UT 250gb

1GB Corsair XMS DDR550 (2x512MB) @ 200Mhz CAS 2-2-2-5-1T

Sapphire X850XT-PE AGP 8X

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Ltd. Gamer Edition

250GB Western Digital Caviar SATA

Anyways, I'm stuck at 2.86Ghz, but it's unstable, I can hold 2.8Ghz Stable though. I'm thinking I should drop the multiplier and go up from there?

Or should I just up the voltage to the CPU and the Chipset?

OCCT Stable, Prime95, SuperPi, and CS:Source!

CS:S is a good test of stability. I've had OCs fail while playing CS:S and after passing all OCDB entry tests. CS:S is one of my final OC tests, if I can game an hour or two then its really close, if not, stable. IMO.

Keep the default CPU multi. Go for CPU MHz, worry about tweaking the memory later. Get to 3G first, then if you want tighten the timings up.

Watch the voltage and temps, 1.55Vcore and 55C are my limits. If your determined to hit the magical 3G look into water cooling for 24/7.

• 2 weeks later...

Yulp... Keepin' er' under 55c is about right..(After that the odds of errors seem to increase.) And 1.55 is okay I think.. Though less in both regards is almost allways better. When it can be done.

For 3ghz my 148 needed 1.575 while my current xp4000 only needs 1.4.... Every processor is a diffrent beast..

Some processors will do do 3ghz easy @stock volts on air. While others will need 1.65+. Others can't doit no matter what the cooling or voltage.

Best advice I think is to do a search of your processors exact stepping. And see what results others are getting. Then goto the OCDB and get the best match to your memory sticks(System) for the best timings.

3Ghz on that processor? well it certainly looks like you have a good fighting chance. 2.8@ 1.4 stable?

That purdy good! 2.86 fail? You might up the vid abit and maybe try a bigger divider. Some processor will scale nicely too a point,then run completely outta' gas. Timings are very very important too.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, after I installed 2GB of ram, I ran into a wall. The craptastic memory controller that mobile CPU's have. I need to keep the memory @ 150Mhz (or close to it).

Also, I think my heatsink is not placed on properly, my temps have increased significantly, even at stock speeds. Thus, I had to drop my core back.

I'm thinking about purchasing an IHS for the CPU so my heatsink will work a little better.