Sign in to follow this  
ReelFiles

Commercials on your retail DVDs anyone?

IBM Patent

...System and method of providing advertisements during DVD playback

Abstract

A method wherein contents of DVDs may be restricted based upon purchased certificates is provided. The certificates allow for secured information on playback. Specifically, whenever a DVD is to be played, a certificate is consulted to determine whether the content of the DVD should be played with or without commercial interruptions. If the certificates provide for commercial interruptions, then commercials can be obtained from an online service that renders commercials on demand, or from the DVD itself. In such a case, the content of the DVD may be interspersed with commercials...

Couple of other links:

Here and here

Wow, that would really suck...

another reason to buy a dvd then immediately use DVD Shrink to rip out all the bull crap like previews, special features, audio tracks in other languages, and now commercials...

I'm a big-time capitalist, but please, someone shoot the bastards controlling the entertainment industry with an elephant gun before they get any more powerful.

What happened to the days when movies and music were art forms? I swear we've got 1984 happening, only it's not the government taking away all our music and literature (movies are a moving form of literature by my definition), it's big record and entertainment companies restricting our access with completely insane regulations, fees, and all that other bull crap.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

so commercials during the freaking movie? "i cant believe it was him!" "ya it was him" WTF? now they have to ruin movies, enough movies get ruined on TBS (Peachtree for Canadians) they edit so much stuff.

well, after thinking about it for a while, I've realized something:

it will go over like a lead turd

Trust me on this one. It will not happen, or it will and someone will pay for it dearly from the backlash that all sites on the internet will give out.

Product placement in movies is bad enough.

especially since it is no longer in the background (ie like a dude just drinks a can of coca-cola). It is now presented in the foreground with things like lingering shots, lights (to make you notice it), the actors somehow working it into their lines in the movie ("hey, how about a nice cold coca-cola?" instead of just picking up a can and drinking out of it), other nonsense.

OK WE GET IT...PEPSI IS THE CHOICE AND IT'S ICE COLD AND REFRESHING...NOW STOP BEATING US OVER THE xxxxING HEAD WITH IT

:tooth:

especially since it is no longer in the background (ie like a dude just drinks a can of coca-cola). It is now presented in the foreground with things like lingering shots, lights (to make you notice it), the actors somehow working it into their lines in the movie ("hey, how about a nice cold coca-cola?" instead of just picking up a can and drinking out of it), other nonsense.

OK WE GET IT...PEPSI IS THE CHOICE AND IT'S ICE COLD AND REFRESHING...NOW STOP BEATING US OVER THE xxxxING HEAD WITH IT

:tooth:

My personal "favorite" is the apple logo on laptops that is right side up when the screen is up...apparently they didn't like the idea that a off the shelf apple laptop would have the logo upside down.

Not only is it product placement, it is purposely planted products with the logos in the correct places.

Wayne's World still owns the product placement crown (for funny) in my book.

...Wayne's World still owns the product placement crown (for funny) in my book.

Definitely

"...Yes, and it's the choice of a new generation." ;)