Sign in to follow this  
Grunt_Style

Hello, I'm getting ready to research building a new PC^^

my current one has finally been punked!!

i downloaded the crysis demo and it slaughtered my pc horribly.

its bout time i build a new one. Been a VERY long time since i kept in touch with current tech :(

I just started catching up all the stuff I've missed over the last 2 years.

Super quick question:

Should my focus on my next sweet gaming rig be

AMD

or

INTEL

From the bits I've currently started gathering Intel is rocking the socks off AMD latly via the core 2 duo and quad. So I'm fairly sure ill be focusing on an Intel based system this time around.

Is there something a little ways down the pipeline in the next 3 months that I should keep an eye on?

And are the new Intel Quad core the best out right now for gaming machines?

Price not really that big of a deal to me. within reason. ill spend 3-4k on a new rig. not going for over the top machine that = a car.

This helps me focus my study on the right area.... ram/mother boards ect will be based on weather I go Intel or AMD

Guest SuppA-SnipA

intel great right now, dual core is good, quad core is better

TBH Just a graphics card upgrade will get crysis much more playable.

You will notice the difference with a new intel rig, especially more so if your not just gaming on it. This time I really wouldn't bother with SLI unless you absolutely must have a 16000+ 3Dmark06 score. its really not reflected in many games. Where to put your money is on a decent clocking processor, 4gb of good ram (we all know that in 1yr time when vista has taken over your gonna want it). And alot of money on the best graphics card you can afford.

IMHO i wouldnt buy any rig right now, wait until the standard 45nm CPU's from intel are out there (really should be some good clockers in that lot).

TBH Just a graphics card upgrade will get crysis much more playable.

You will notice the difference with a new intel rig, especially more so if your not just gaming on it. This time I really wouldn't bother with SLI unless you absolutely must have a 16000+ 3Dmark06 score. its really not reflected in many games. Where to put your money is on a decent clocking processor, 4gb of good ram (we all know that in 1yr time when vista has taken over your gonna want it). And alot of money on the best graphics card you can afford.

IMHO i wouldnt buy any rig right now, wait until the standard 45nm CPU's from intel are out there (really should be some good clockers in that lot).

here ya go. I'm playing (or was anyway) Crysis on this system, which looks suspiciously like yours except for the video card:

X2 3800+ @ 250x10 (2500Mhz)

2GB DDR-500 Ballistix

3x36GB Raptor hdd's RAID-0

DVD-RW

X1900XT 512MB PCI-E video

SB Audigy2 ZS

OCZ 600w GX psu

Plays pretty good on Medium @ 1280x1024.

I've got an E6600 Core2 + 2GB + 8800GTS 320MB + 2x80GB RAID-0 all watercooled in the house and I still can't really play Crysis above 1280x1024 on medium (if I leave certain things on medium I can put others on high and get a little better experience but it still costs some fps's).

Look into the 8800GT 512MB card, or the 3870 ATI 512MB card. If you can actually find either for sale at the moment.

My reasoning is that this 3800+ X2 rig plays ALL OTHER GAMES just perfect, some at 1280x1024 with everything on, some at 1600x1200 with stuff like AA off. That's with an X1900XT 512MB card remember. How many times will you play Crysis? Is it the only game you will play? Sure other games will come out, but I've already played CoD4, World in Conflict, Unreal Tournament 3, Hellgate: London, etc, and all play just fine in high detail (not max mind you) just fine, and when I go play on the Core2 with higher details, honestly there's not that much difference.

I'm too busy blasting or getting blowed up or my leg chewed on by subway zombies to really pay THAT much attention, and when I do pay attention, as I said, ain't that much difference.

But since the 8800GT 512MB and 3870 ATI 512MB cards are pretty kick butt, and at a sub-$300 price (mostly), that's the route I would go.

$300 for a kick butt video card that improves your game is better than $800-ish for new cpu, RAM, mobo, and that same video card to give you not much more gaming...

ill do that. at least a 300 dollar temp fix w/new card willl hold me over till these new 45nm cpu's plane out and hit thier prime. worst case scenario... i get the pimp card and find out i dont like the improvement... and build a new pc anyways...using the same card^^

Aye, I got a 8800 GT to replace my 7900 GT KO, and wow. The 7900 was a great card, really really strong, but Crysis ended up destroying it (last level, fan started buzzing loudly). 8800 GT was such an amazing upgrade.

I recently put together a new system, E6850 running at 3.6Ghz, 8800GT (also overclocked) 2GB of RAM.

If you are using Crysis as the benchmark (I am on XP, so these are DX9 numbers), I am getting mid 20's to low 30's FPS at 1680x1050, no AA, all details on High.

Sign in to follow this