What happened to the HD 3870's price?

Guest r3d c0m3t_merged

Guest r3d c0m3t

I know. Just a spur of the moment anger-type thing, I blame nVidia for not being able to supply enough 8800GTs.

EDIT: Those are some sweet blocks on the GPUs on your page. :drool:

I know. Just a spur of the moment anger-type thing, I blame nVidia for not being able to supply enough 8800GTs.

EDIT: Those are some sweet blocks on the GPUs on your page. :drool:

Thanks. They get the job done. Will be adding an Viper'ed 8800GT to the pictures

in the next few days. After that it gets sold.

Viper

• 2 weeks later...
Guest r3d c0m3t

I'm happy (very happy) to say I think AMD has heard our cries, or at least those coming from their empty pockets, because Newegg has never (never) stocked a 3870 for more than a couple of minutes, an hour at most.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102713

That bad boy has been in stock since either Thursday or Friday of last week.

Alas, AMD - Hoo-rah! :cool:

I'm happy (very happy) to say I think AMD has heard our cries, or at least those coming from their empty pockets, because Newegg has never (never) stocked a 3870 for more than a couple of minutes, an hour at most.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102713

That bad boy has been in stock since either Thursday or Friday of last week.

Alas, AMD - Hoo-rah! :cool:

Yeah but heaven help ya if you ever have to RMA it. Sapphire RMA's are slower than mollasis

plus you get the privilege of paying the shipping both ways!!!

Viper

I just ran a 3dmark05 test for a premliminary benchmark and I got 15637, on all stock settings with the 3870. I'm running a system similar to yours r3d with the exception of the mobo to give you an idea of how well it works. I'm going to be doing some serious overclocking in the next few days so I'll keep you guys posted.

Guest r3d c0m3t

Awesome.

You shouldn't have much trouble overclocking the Q6600, you might even be able to get to the same speed I'm currently on with less voltage.

I've seen a few entries on FiringSquad's OCDB and there was one entry with the same frequency as mine, but required 1.4v.

As always, YMMV.

As for the HD 3870, it's awesome, isn't it? :tooth:

If only I had an 8800GT to compare it too. My last system was a opty 939 with 7800GT's sli, so it was a bit dated (by street's standards anyway). I know with one 3870, x38 mobo, and a q6600 running .4 Ghz slower, it's benchmarking 3000+ more points. I think with the 7800GT's sli I got near 12k. I know 3dmark05 isn't the best way to measure performance, but I think its the easiest anyway just for an off the cuff comparison. You also have to remember I bought the 7800Gt's new and they were $270 a piece. I think I picked my 3870 up for $240 out the door. The 3870's have really only gone up about 20 bucks, considering shipping and all that. I know if I bought one from newegg out the door right now is around $280, I can pick it up from a different website that does not charge me tax for around $250 out the door. If I find some extra dough somewhere I'm picking up another 3870. Oh yeah, do you know whether or not both cards have to be Vivo enabled or just one for me to keep that function?

Oh yeah, nice OC on that 3870 r3d.

Guest r3d c0m3t
Oh yeah, do you know whether or not both cards have to be Vivo enabled or just one for me to keep that function?

Oh yeah, nice OC on that 3870 r3d.

One card can be VIVO-enabled, but make sure that card is in the topmost slot, you shouldn't have much a problem with that issue.