PCIe 1.1 board supporting PCIe 2.0 cards?

CrAsHnBuRnXp

my card arrived and works fine in the lower slot. Didn't run it in the upper slot because it covers 2/4 of my SATA ports (I have three plugged in, technically I could unplug one because it has NOTHING on it). Haven't run tests to see if x8 vs x16 makes a difference, but I believe it does considering this is an x16 PCIe 2.0 card to begin with.

Thats definitely reassuring. Thanks!

So Im setting my dad up with a new video card. Thinking about the 3850 that was just released not to long ago. Its faster than an 8600GT for the same price but lacks VRAM compared to that of the 8600GT.

Anyway, it was brought to my attention that some motherboards (PCI-e 1.1) dont like to cooperate with PCI-e 2.0 cards. How true is this? If it is true, how well do the older DFI boards (see layout below (bolded)) fare with PCIe 2.0 cards? The system that it will be in is as follows.

AMD64 X2 3800+ or my old Opty 165 (overclocked as high as I can get it)

DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D (latest BIOS)

OCZ 2GB DDR400 PC3200

OCZ 600w PSU (will this be enough? I sure as hell hope so)

HD 3850 GFX (or the 8600GT. Still havent made a 100% decision)

It will work just fine in that setup.

Viper

• 1 month later...

This thread is getting a bit out dated, but I am running an EVGA superclocked 8800gt in my rig. it overclocks succesfully to 690 core 2016 memory and under 60degrees C at full load

Currently running the card in PCIE slot #2 - only 8x because the #1 slot is blocked by my passive northbridge cooler. I have the HR-05 SLI Thermalright on its way, and am interested if there is any noticeable difference running at 8x vs 16x ...I will update next week when i can run some tests.

As posted somewhere else in the forum, the NF4 ultra-d second PCIE slot is only a 2x slot unless you move the Bridges to multi GPU/SLI position. It then becomes an 8x (and Slot 1 changes from 16x to 8x speed as well) - also change bios SLI setting to auto, or enabled... I have done the SLI mod, but with only 1 card not required to increase the lane speed...

This changed my 3dmark03 score from 24500 to 35400 - a huge 45% performance issue! It took me a week to find out why my 8800gt wasn't near as good as other benchmarks i had seen...(Doh!!)

DFI Nforce4 Ultra-d bios 03/29/2006

OCZ Gamestream 700w PSU

AMD64 4600+ @ 2.73ghz

EVGA 8800gt superclocked

2 gb OCZ Platinum

1 74gb Western digital Raptor

1 1Tb Samsung F1

Creative X-Fi platinum

BENQ FP241W Monitor

Running dual boot Vista 64 and XP Pro

• 10 months later...
So Im setting my dad up with a new video card. Thinking about the 3850 that was just released not to long ago. Its faster than an 8600GT for the same price but lacks VRAM compared to that of the 8600GT.

Anyway, it was brought to my attention that some motherboards (PCI-e 1.1) dont like to cooperate with PCI-e 2.0 cards. How true is this? If it is true, how well do the older DFI boards (see layout below (bolded)) fare with PCIe 2.0 cards? The system that it will be in is as follows.

AMD64 X2 3800+ or my old Opty 165 (overclocked as high as I can get it)

DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D (latest BIOS)

OCZ 2GB DDR400 PC3200

OCZ 600w PSU (will this be enough? I sure as hell hope so)

HD 3850 GFX (or the 8600GT. Still havent made a 100% decision)

most current PCI-e 2.0 cards are backwards compatible withe PCI-e 1.1 slots as long as the additional power is used.

as for certain combinations not working, I'd say it's most likely that the card isn't fully backwards compatible with PCI-e 1.1/1.0

thankyou so much for this..... i need to upgrade my gpu so bad [i have a 7950 gt] but i cant afford my planed upgrade till spring..... so this has saved my allot of pain and time.