PCIe 1.1 board supporting PCIe 2.0 cards?

CrAsHnBuRnXp

So Im setting my dad up with a new video card. Thinking about the 3850 that was just released not to long ago. Its faster than an 8600GT for the same price but lacks VRAM compared to that of the 8600GT.

Anyway, it was brought to my attention that some motherboards (PCI-e 1.1) dont like to cooperate with PCI-e 2.0 cards. How true is this? If it is true, how well do the older DFI boards (see layout below (bolded)) fare with PCIe 2.0 cards? The system that it will be in is as follows.

AMD64 X2 3800+ or my old Opty 165 (overclocked as high as I can get it)

DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D (latest BIOS)

OCZ 2GB DDR400 PC3200

OCZ 600w PSU (will this be enough? I sure as hell hope so)

HD 3850 GFX (or the 8600GT. Still havent made a 100% decision)

most current PCI-e 2.0 cards are backwards compatible withe PCI-e 1.1 slots as long as the additional power is used.

as for certain combinations not working, I'd say it's most likely that the card isn't fully backwards compatible with PCI-e 1.1/1.0

I looked into this issue since I step up'd my 320mb 8800GTS to the new 8800GT, which is PCIe 2.0. It appears that PCIe 2.0 is compatible with PCIe 1.1, and MOST PCIe 1.0 (the DFI nForce4 Ultra-D is PCIe 1.0). Everyone who has installed a PCIe 2.0 gpu into a DFI Lanparty and posted online hasn't had an issue as far as I am aware (there are issues with cheap boards, but DFI ain't no cheap board).

I looked into this issue since I step up'd my 320mb 8800GTS to the new 8800GT, which is PCIe 2.0. It appears that PCIe 2.0 is compatible with PCIe 1.1, and MOST PCIe 1.0 (the DFI nForce4 Ultra-D is PCIe 1.0). Everyone who has installed a PCIe 2.0 gpu into a DFI Lanparty and posted online hasn't had an issue as far as I am aware (there are issues with cheap boards, but DFI ain't no cheap board).

Yeah I know. I love that DFI LP board. Its like no other. I really want a DFI LP based P35 board.

Thanks a lot though, that is really what I was concerened with. Getting the card and not having it work.

Cheers!

Im just trying to make 100% sure it will work before I get it, throw it in only to find out that it wont work.

Will a 600 watt PSU suffice?

Depends on the PSU.

My Enermax ELT500 works with an HD3850 and my Gigabyte board isn't PCI-e 2.0.

I'll post an update when I get my new card (probably next week).

As for a DFI P35 board, here you go:

Lanparty: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813136039

Blood Iron: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813136038

IMO, I think P35 belongs to Gigabyte/Asus/Abit, as far as stability, compatibility, and price are concerned (the Gigabyte C2D boards impress me the most in these regards). What do I know though, I'm playing the waiting game for at least another year or so in regards to building a completely new rig...

Yeah I know. I love that DFI LP board. Its like no other. I really want a DFI LP based P35 board.

Thanks a lot though, that is really what I was concerened with. Getting the card and not having it work.

Cheers!

Hey crash.Have you posted this over at HWA?

my card arrived and works fine in the lower slot. Didn't run it in the upper slot because it covers 2/4 of my SATA ports (I have three plugged in, technically I could unplug one because it has NOTHING on it). Haven't run tests to see if x8 vs x16 makes a difference, but I believe it does considering this is an x16 PCIe 2.0 card to begin with.