A wise choice or should I wait?

As much as I want to see AMD succeed slashing prices won't help. They would have to rape them.

heh, yep, the price-performance ratio for AMD's cpu's right now means they'd probably have to slash prices around 33% to 50% to be on the same level with Intel. This is disastrous for AMD as they are barely holding the line as it is, constantly losing money every financial quarter.

hehe well yes but intel would never lower prices so much that AMD cant compete on some level or there would be competition law, lawsuits flying in.

DEAD WRONG

Intel can do whatever they want. In a capitalistic society like we live in, if Intel can produce better products cheaper than AMD can, they will, and there's nothing AMD can do about it legally or otherwise other than to make better products cheaper than Intel.

To think otherwise is pure folly as there is nothing illegal about making a product better and cheaper than a competitor.

Wolfdale E8500.

I think that i am defo with Praz on this one. Already one clock has an E8500 at 4.7ghz on air. So for me, that could well be over 5ghz. There is'nt any chance of a Quad getting near that because as Praz said, they are FSB limited. Personally, i don't need a Quad, so i'll stick to dual's for the forseeable future.

There are rules saying u cant practically give away ur .? ;P

No there is'nt. What there are though is WTO rules about "dumping" goods onto markets. No one could possibly say that Intel are doing that. At the moment they have the best product at the best price. If AMD don't like it, they are fully aware of what they have to do.

was that an insult or just e-luv? :P

I've decided to be patient and wait until Q1 after all. My gamingsituation atm is kinda f:ed anyway, since my 1 month old asus 8800GTX makes a VERY LOUD sound when the PC turns off, and sometimes when rebooting, the sound doesnt go away. It's the kind of pitch and volume on it that could easily make babies deaf. Hence the RMA I just did.

Can't really play any new games with my 7800GTX :/