Before 21: hate alcohol...turned 21: tried it and STILL hate it

ArchVile

its been proven now that red wine isnt actually good for you at all. (was in the news 2 months back). So no need to do it.

Back to drinking, ive been drinking since i was a kid, parents were always relaxed and used to give me booze,

Im 20(nearly 21, but UK age is only 18 remember) now and I enjoy a beer/glass of wine occasionally. I also like going out and getting absolutely mashed, but not every weekend, like some mates who were never given alcohol, but had to sneak it etc.

I feel its all about self control and trying not to go overboard with it. Finally if you dont like it, don't do it, you should never feel pressured to do something you don't want or need to do.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

umm...not all alcohol is good for you lol. Health experts mostly suggest red wine once a day or every other day, but I've never heard any doctors or health experts say that beer or distilled alcohol is good for you lol

my great grandma was actually perscribed to drink dark beer towards the end of her life. She was skinny as a bone though and it was to keep the fat levels up

I feel its all about self control and trying not to go overboard with it. Finally if you dont like it, don't do it, you should never feel pressured to do something you don't want or need to do.

exactly. i hate the fact that almost all of my other friends go insane when they drink, like 7-8 beers, etc and im the one "loser" standing there drinking a pepsi.

that does it, im never touching any kind of alcohol ever again. im never going to drink ANY kind ever. i hate what it does to your body and its not healthy for you at all. im no health nut, i drink an insane amount of soda, but crap alcohol. yay for me :-)

umm...not all alcohol is good for you lol. Health experts mostly suggest red wine once a day or every other day, but I've never heard any doctors or health experts say that beer or distilled alcohol is good for you lol

Depends, I've read in a few places that certain hard liquors have the same properties as wine. Some researchers are thinking it's not so much the other substances in the wine that help as much as it's the alcohol itself. There's even some research showing that whiskey has some cancer preventing properties :tooth: Although there are studies that show it can also increase chances of head and neck cancer...dunno

For every medical study out there that concludes that "x will do y" if you look around enough, there's another one that "proves" the exact opposite!

its been proven now that red wine isnt actually good for you at all. (was in the news 2 months back). So no need to do it.

Back to drinking, ive been drinking since i was a kid, parents were always relaxed and used to give me booze,

Im 20(nearly 21, but UK age is only 18 remember) now and I enjoy a beer/glass of wine occasionally. I also like going out and getting absolutely mashed, but not every weekend, like some mates who were never given alcohol, but had to sneak it etc.

really? Just because one story made it to the internet or CNN it disproves everything? I've not seen this on my own brand of news yet (Google, MSNBC, NPR, CNN) so I can't say this is factual or not.

Alcohol is good in one sense that it thins the blood but bad because it constricts blood vessels (7th grade health class stuff everyone should know). Beyond that, I don't see any particular health benefits of alcohol unless your name is Bender and you are a robot in the year 3000.

However, looking at international health statistics, statistics show Italians and others who regularly consume wine but in moderation to be slightly heart healthier than say...Russians who drink vodka regularly =/

Who knows? I don't. I heard milk was always good for me, then the news said it really wasn't that good for me. Then it said it was. Then it said it wasn't. I'm pretty sure it is though.

Same with other foods, medications, etc. Hey, we even said silicon breast implants were safe, then not safe, now safe again...?

I don't mind a glass of red wine every year or two. Other than that, I've always frowned when I hear people say alcohol tastes good because I must be from a different planet (but then again, when people talk about how they love peas or broccoli I get that same frown because either of those foods make me gag and vomit just from the smell lol).

Isn't breathing now supposed to be bad for us? We better learn how to stop breathing so we can be healthier ;)

Just a mythodical comment....

But back in the days of ancient Rome when people supposedly lived for 100s of years instead of just less than a 100 years.... You always see paintings of them with What fruit...?

Thats right....the Grapes...they ate them and drank the wine made from them in very large amounts.... so if that all was true...(not sure) it stands to reason wine was a key factor in life expectancy....

I know you all say but dr_buttwipe all you speak is gibberish and no one knows what you talk about.... true...

But as far as drinking goes many people are faced with drinking problems before they even drink their 1st drink...

I wasnt until 2 years ago I found out what the true mean of Power drinker was/is....

It's a person who drinks faster than normal....and I wondered why I alway got drunk quick....

I cant stand for anything I drink to get warm...water, soda, juice or even beer...and can/bottle last me less than 2 minutes...now that I know I do this I catch myself doing it....

It's like a smoker who doesnt really want a cigarette but just sub-conscientiously grabs one and lights it....

i dont think it has anything to do with OCD or anything its just some brain damaged thing you get in your head its going to be gross if it's warm....

I like beer frosty...I cant stand warm beer...

It's kinda funny now because now that i know I do this I can pace myself when I drink and when I want a sip I go every other urge....

It's not an alcoholic urge or anything because beer goes bad around here...I still have an un-opened case of bottles from about 1 month ago...

When I was in the height of my drinking I would put away about 3-4cases of beer a weekend....not week but weekend...

Go camping on the weekends and drink Friday night...start at noon Saturday and drink till it's gone or we'd get drunk....

that was and every weekend event for years....all thru my 20s....as I got older ( I am still only 36) drinking just didnt work out as it became more of a binge and purge i called it.....I drink, I puke, I go to sleep....

I blamed it on the beer for changing the recipe...it sure wasnt me...The thing that changed it all for me was when I was Divorced me and a buddy would hang and we'd go shoot pool and drink and stuff and there were times I just could hang with him...4 beers and I was done....other nights I couldnt drink enough to even get a buzz after endless rounds....

But on one night in particular he called me and I went to pick him up in my 4x4 truck...now this truck was fun to drive with lots of power and something you shouldnt drive if you have been drinking...And PLEASE DONT DRIVE IF YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING....EVER...

But we were at the local bar and we had about 2 beers and I felt funny and I thought it was just the big fat steak I just got done eating not sitting right with me....so I finished those beers and had another....and the 3rd and the 4th and I didnt get 2 sips out of the 1st beer and I felt I needed to go home...well he lived 4 blocks from the bar so I drove him home....

As I got down the road I lost my eyesight to nothing but blurs coming and going....I dropped him off and headed home...

I remember gettting the urge to get sick and I can remember not making it out the window and it was rolled down....so you know what that means...I dont remember the rest of the trip home as i think I blacked out but I remember being in my driveway after mid-night and washing out my truck with a garden hose...and I washed everything...

I remember walking up the steps to the house and opening the door and I remember trying to sit on the couch...thats all...

I woke the next morning to find I couldnt breath as I was choking on vomit...luckily I rolled off the couch and saw i must have gotten sick while I was sleeping....

man I felt terrible...but that was the day I found out I was Diabetic and I had went into a Diabetic coma.....I could have died or worse killed someone...not a good feeling looking back...

So now I make the wife drive if I drink...dont need no accidents I may have to answer for....

since then I havent been drunk but twice in 7years...

so it's just good not to drink...it sucks for me cause i like to drink and I like to get buzzed but I end up getting sick before I get either...and puking is no fun....and definately not worth the buzz....

I can tell you some good stories about drinking and laying in bed for 4 day with alcohol poisoning...not cool...not cool at all....but you never know it's going to happen when you're partying and having fun....

My most expensive drunk to date was 10 years ago...me and a buddy went to the local bar called "The Zoo" and I drank Miller Lite and they were 2 for 2.00 and from 5pm till 5am closing I put away 87.00 worth of those Miller Lites and walked out not drunk till me friends wife decided to drive us home like Jeff Gordon qualifying for Indy....damn

my advice....if you dont drink...dont start.....

okay so i just turned 21 and ive never liked alcohol at all. no matter what ive tried, scotch, rum, beer, etc ive hated it. hate the way i feel, the way it tastes, i could go on and on.

anyway i had my first legal drink, before this i just had a little of each, like a few sips, ya know.

first drink, budweiser and it was f*cking nasty as hell. my throat still burns and i only had 1 bottle.

is there ANYONE on this planet that hates alcohol? if you do join with me and unite against this crappy tasting stuff. SODA ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!! :-)

^ im with you there, alcohol smells and tastes bad to me... fruity drinks included... too much burnbad tastehead ache etc. what county are you in BTW? randolph here...

But he is in Georgia, they don't HAVE good beer. ;)

maybe you are right, though around my area, there isn't a store where you cant buy alcohol (except on sunday, sale is illegal then)... our drug store even sales it... imagine all the people that buy a beer to take their medicine with:sweat:.

really? Just because one story made it to the internet or CNN it disproves everything? I've not seen this on my own brand of news yet (Google, MSNBC, NPR, CNN) so I can't say this is factual or not.

Alcohol is good in one sense that it thins the blood but bad because it constricts blood vessels (7th grade health class stuff everyone should know). Beyond that, I don't see any particular health benefits of alcohol unless your name is Bender and you are a robot in the year 3000.

However, looking at international health statistics, statistics show Italians and others who regularly consume wine but in moderation to be slightly heart healthier than say...Russians who drink vodka regularly =/

Who knows? I don't. I heard milk was always good for me, then the news said it really wasn't that good for me. Then it said it was. Then it said it wasn't. I'm pretty sure it is though.

Same with other foods, medications, etc. Hey, we even said silicon breast implants were safe, then not safe, now safe again...?

I don't mind a glass of red wine every year or two. Other than that, I've always frowned when I hear people say alcohol tastes good because I must be from a different planet (but then again, when people talk about how they love peas or broccoli I get that same frown because either of those foods make me gag and vomit just from the smell lol).

Isn't breathing now supposed to be bad for us? We better learn how to stop breathing so we can be healthier ;)

if im not mistaken, alcohol dilates blood vessels, hence that "warm feeling" and risk of hypothermia for drunk nuts who run around half naked in winter thinking they are warm... cigarettes on the other hand do constrict blood vessels and drop external body temperature in the hands, feet, and other limbs.

on the other hand, scholarsother science dudes are always in debate about what is good for you and what is not. and btw, you are correct that breathing is bad for us because we have been dumping toxins and carcinogens into the air since the industrial revolution... we have so many luxuries in this modern world, but most comes at a price to our health... go figure :drool:.