If the NF4 chipset gone if the chipset fan dies?

I got an Asus A8N SLI board but the chipset fan has died on it and it has been running with just the heatsink and no fan. If this for sure dead? I don't really have extra parts to try it out. If there is a high possibility that the NF4 chip is dead? I would risk getting a cheap 939 CPU for it if there is a chance it is still good to test it out.

I had two similar instances. Once with a DFI NF4 Ultra-D board and once with a DFI INF 975x/g board.

In both cases, the chipset fan died and I didn't know about it for gosh who knows how long. Luckily for me, in both situations I didn't fry the n/b on either one. And both boards are still in service to this day.

All you can do is give it a try. I don't see any harm in that, especially as inexpensive as some of the AMD socket939 processors are these days.

my firend had a nf4 board (asus) and he didnt know that the fan burned out. he ask me to upgrade his cpu to dual core and when i swap the cpu i saw that the fan was burned and that the hs was very hot, i replace it with a evercool vc-re and it have continue to work...