Sign in to follow this  
3some

MOBO or something else? Big pc prob, please help!

Hello everyone!

First did DFI change names?

2nd, my problem:

I apologize for the long text but I try to include all details.

PC Specs:

AMD 64 3700+

1gb ocz ram

BFG 7800 gt oc

DFI Lanparty Ultra-d

Windows XP

Audigy 2 ZS

3 x SATA drives

OCZ Gamerxstream 600

I have a DFI Lanparty 4 Ultra-D MOBO and this is what recently happend.

My computer was always working properly, I always turn it off for the night and I also did this night.

Then during my sleep, I heard a loud "boom". I tought something fell down somewhere, so just said to myself I'll pick it up tomorrow morning.

I go to turn on the pc in the morning, even forgot the "boom" part.

To my surprise, the PC does not turn on. I do all the necessary checks, power cords etc. Everything is fine. The MOBO lights (standby ones) are not lit on.

So I figure either the MOBO or the pSU or who knows...

So I have another PC. I tested the PSU in it, doesnt work. Cause found.

The PSU is a OCZ Powerstream 520, I call, they send e-mail etc etc, I send mine, they get it friday and this monday (today) I get my brand new OCZ Gamerxstream 600.

I gotta say wow awesome service, fast and I even got a better then I had :)

So i begin to hook it up, plug it all in, and PC no work...

When I press the power button it begins to start up, lights go up and then it immediately dies again. When I push button again, nothing happens. When I turn off pc in the back or unplug cord and plug back in, I push again and it doesnt the same thing. I guess because the ¨SU resets itself when I pull cord.

So what is going on? Is there some kind of safety feature on?

Also I played around more and found in the DFI book about the Clear CMOS data and the Safe boot also.

So I changed the JP1 from normal to clear. Pushed button and pc powered up, all lights working and all... but... nothing on screen.

Did the same with JP2.. powers up.. but nothing on screen.

As soon as I change back to normal settings it doesn as before, starts to power up like it got a bit of electricity in, then dies.

What is going on? Does the motherboard have some safety on?

Everything seems to work, all fans are turning, the Ram works too I tried in another PC.

There is one more change I think, at least I think i havent noticed this before.

By the standby LED (orange) there are also some red LED, I believe that when they are on it means the PC is on startup? or does this means something is wrong?

DFI gurus please help me get my pc back and working :(.

Try this unplug your case, move the clear cmos jumper, remove the battery, hit the power button to drain all the power left in the board and let it sit for at least 30min.

Try this unplug your case, move the clear cmos jumper, remove the battery, hit the power button to drain all the power left in the board and let it sit for at least 30min.

Thanks I will try it in the morning, however how do I remove the battery?

Its that metallic round thing? Kinda like a bigger watch battery?

:) thanks

So I changed the JP1 from normal to clear. Pushed button and pc powered up, all lights working and all... but... nothing on screen.

You must never power the board with the CMOS jumper in the clear position.

This can damage the CMOS and possibly fry your hardware.

You need to remove the board out of the case.

- Remove everything that is on it including the CPU.

- Check the CPU, look under for burnt spots.

- On a flat non conductive surface, insert one memory module into the top orange slot.

- Insert the CPU and re-apply your thermal paste.

- Make sure you plug all 4 power connectors from the power supply into the board.

- Make sure the CMOS jumper is in the normal position (Not clear)

- Power the PC like that (this is without a gfx card).

Does the fan spin/board stay powered?

- If yes, insert the gfx card and try again.

What happens now?

I think we found the problem :)

So I tried all you told me sharp.

The board does powerup all fine with 1 stick of ram, cpu and psu only.

However when I insert the GFX card, it does what it did before, gives me an impression of powerup for a second, then dies out.

So I guess my GFX card is fried or the pci-e slot?

Any special tests for me to do with it? My 2nd PC is agp so I cant test it in there.

Also there are no apparent burnt spots on the GFX card.

Thanks for the help and I'll keep waiting for more :)

Does it do the same in both PCIe slots?

If you haven't tried this already, don't try it anymore as you may cause further damage.

Borrow (if you can) a PCIe card from a friend to test in your pc.

And RMA the gfx card.

i'm having similar issues, ecept with 2 computers which just happened to die a week apart with same problem. I'm getting the impression that Ultra-D's are scheduled to die by reading all the similar threads, jk.

Hopefully not hehe if not, what's the warranty on Ultra-Ds? :)

My gfx card is on its way to manufacturer, hopefully I get a new one.

AFAIK DFI has a 3yr warranty in the US; so Canada is probably the same since service for US and Canada is handled through the DFI San Jose branch office.

Ok bad news :(

I got thew new GFX card, I insert and no work.

So I try the same trick you told me before, 1 stick of ram, cpu, mobo and psu.

Surprisingly it does not power up as it used to before.

I haven't touched this computer since last time, how is that possible?

Now it does like before it did with the GFX card inserted, the pc seems like its gonna start but then dies out.

The ram is good, works in my other pc, the gfx card is brand new (however the pc doesnt pwoer up now even without it), the psu is all new too.

What could have caused this change?

What other tests can I do?

And of course what would seem to be the problem now? mobo?

Or maybe CPU? I have AMD, what is it on AMDs, 3 years warranty?

well, just on the surface you may have bonkered the unit when you had the CMOS jumper in the clear position and turned the unit on. at the very least you prolly need either a new preprogrammed bios chip just to be sure.....i remember doing what you did with no consequence (JP2>on wid da 'puter by accident), it worked fine after i replaced the jumper to the proper position...i guess i got lucky...

the loud boom you heard the night before, did you identify what it was? could have been a transformer somewhere in your neighborhood went down, there could have been a quick spike in volts, may have taken your PS and MB down....without more 'spare' parts to further test the board...or another rig that works so you could try various parts in an effort to isolate the problem....

have you carefully taken the board out and tried the minimal build (don't forget the heatsink, LOL)....???

laterzzzz...