Sign in to follow this  
Bluetiereign

No MOD SLI... yet

Well, I've spent the day here wrestling this new board to upgrade my wife's computer. Thanks to these forums, I have managed to stabilize the 2 gigs of cheap pqi ddr. However, even after pouring over tons of posts, I am still unable to settle the SLI issue with this board.

I understand the theory behind the SLI hardware mod, but I have some reservations about doing this with what is currently happening. First of all, even with the latest BIOS, and changing all of the settings made in BIOS to make SLI appear in windows (with the modified drivers), I cannot get the second card to appear in Windows XP hardware manager when I have all of the jumpers moved to SLI. I have dual 7800gt cards that I was using on my ASUS board. I moved them to this board and immediately set it up for SLI. When I 'repaired' the XP install and got SP2 and all the drivers loaded, only one of the 7800's appeared in the hardware manager. After trying everything, I finally decided to move the jumpers back to normal and **boom** ... the other card showed up and I can apparently run SLI. This seems the opposite of what I should be seeing.

My questions...

With the hardware mod, will I be able to move the jumpers to SLI and have Windows find the second card ? Before I go voiding the warranty on a bad board, I would prefer to get the advice of someone who might have seen this before.

Second, can this chipset fan be removed in a way to use it again ? I will order a new fan since it is the general consensus around here that the OEM stinks... but that will take a few days... and I want to finish this build this week-end and test.

the chipset fan should come of but dont run it with out any form of cooling it'll fry in seconds also round here the folks would like a sig with your set uyp in it bios's etc that way it's easier to get to the root of the problem

Well, it appears that this point is useless now anyway... after removing the fan, I find the the traces that were needed to connect have been removed.

You might want to re-check that.

Later NForce4 chipsets don't have the little blobs of solder shown on the SLI Mod Pic.

There should be a small round dab of dark epoxy covering the two solder pads.

This will will need to be carfully scrapped away, to reveal the solder pads that need to be connected for SLI.

I used acetone and a QTip to soften the epoxy, and scraped it off with the tip of an exacto knife.

With out the mod, I dont believe there is a chance that a 2nd card would show up at all with jumpers set to SLI. Don't know why it would show up in Normal mode though...

I thought the same as you not seeing anything shiny underneath the fan, but like WestMassguy said, carefully scrape off the black epoxy until you have 2 shiny squares. From there, its a #2 pencil or a Circuitwriter pen that gets you a connection between the two, and then SLI away!

Be sure to scrape/connect the correct spots though, wouldn't want to fry the board that way...

With out the mod, I dont believe there is a chance that a 2nd card would show up at all with jumpers set to SLI. Don't know why it would show up in Normal mode though...

^^^

Ultra-D supports DXG (Dual Express Graphics) so the second card SHOULD show up if jumbers are set to Normal mode.

One card at 16x and one at 2x.

ditto on the contacts, scrape darker green looking epoxy off, connect with circuitwriter pen (one of the best ways to do the deed)....

it there, just be careful....

laterzzz

I'm thinking of trying this mod and was worried about which nvidia driver to use. I currently have 6.86 and noticed that is the same one to use for AMD SLI and SLI X16. Will 6.86 still work on a modded Ultra-D? I googled this topic but am still confused, apparently nvidia changed their newer drivers to prevent the enabling of sli, is this correct?

I'm thinking of trying this mod and was worried about which nvidia driver to use. I currently have 6.86 and noticed that is the same one to use for AMD SLI and SLI X16. Will 6.86 still work on a modded Ultra-D? I googled this topic but am still confused, apparently nvidia changed their newer drivers to prevent the enabling of sli, is this correct?

This is a hardware modification. It is therefor undetectable.

The NVidia driver will see it as an SLI Chipset.