Sign in to follow this  
nghisus

Tired of all the fan boys....

If you are not basing your card purchases on performance, then what are you basing your purchases on, die size?

No. I base my card purchase on budget, then performance, and power consumption seems to be a nice little bonus. I guess availability is important to me too. So I picked up a 3870 because I could find one, it was only 240 bucks, and if it gets outperformed by 2 or 3 frames I really don't think I care too much. But some people do and if they have the patience to wait for the 8800GT its up to them. I'm not going to knock them for it. I've had plenty of luck with ATI and Nvidia. The only thing I think that sucks from Nvidia is their on board NIC ports as I have had at least 3 go bad or was bad from factory on 3 different mobos. I'm just not going to let my opinion of a new product be swayed because of dogged brand loyalty, that's just silly.

So with the release of the 3850's and 3870's I've been doing some research and it reminded me of how stupid people are.

They'll take a look at FPS and immediately jump to,"ATI is crap! Look the 8800GT kills it! ATI sucks, Nvidia rules!" Then I look at their sig and they're running a 7300GS in their system. Its like a guy who says Chevy is better than Ford because the Corvette is faster than the Mustang and he drives a Cavalier.

What happened to wattage concerns, performance per dollar, and using personal experience? As far as I'm concerned the only garbage company out there is Apple. And I use the term 'computer' ever so loosely haha.

Nvidia, Intel, AMD, ATI, I don't care. As long as I find the company that carries the most performance within my budget I go with them. I prefer AMD because of my great experience with the Opteron 165. Now I'm considering the Q6600 because it falls in my price range and has a great overclocking record.

If anybody finds some 3870's for sale please PM me :)

I am a little curious about your sig comment about the user that doesn't have what he is pimping and your sig that says nothing about what you call garbage. ;) kinda sounded a little fanboyish to me :P

AMD/ATI/Intel/nVidia,

I always choose based on the best performance per buck that I spend. I've got a X1900XT card that has served me very well. Great card. But it is gathering dust because my 8800GTS simply outperforms it.

I've had (and built) a lot of great rigs based on Intel/AMD or ATi/nVidia hardware. But everyone of them always goes directly back to the methodology in my first paragraph.

No one else owns my soul (or my checkbook). Of course, some customers specify one or the other, but whenever they will listen I try to present the pros and cons of each particular platform and try to help them make an educated decision.

I am a little curious about your sig comment about the user that doesn't have what he is pimping and your sig that says nothing about what you call garbage. ;) kinda sounded a little fanboyish to me :P

Not sure what you mean, could you clarify? :) I don't think you read me right.

AMD/ATI/Intel/nVidia,

I always choose based on the best performance per buck that I spend. I've got a X1900XT card that has served me very well. Great card. But it is gathering dust because my 8800GTS simply outperforms it.

I've had (and built) a lot of great rigs based on Intel/AMD or ATi/nVidia hardware. But everyone of them always goes directly back to the methodology in my first paragraph.

No one else owns my soul (or my checkbook). Of course, some customers specify one or the other, but whenever they will listen I try to present the pros and cons of each particular platform and try to help them make an educated decision.

Amen, amen, choose what works best for you and if someone asks try pulling more from personal experience. I think benchmarks done by independent companies are great but at the end of the day you have to live with your purchase, not anybody else. If they feel so strongly about one company or another they should go out and buy you one.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showd...spx?i=3153&p=11

It seems in my opinion I'll be going with a Q6600 the way those Phenoms seem to be performing at the release price. And I just bought a 3870 because I couldn't find an 8800. What a switch. I loved my Opteron 165 so I am pretty disappointed with Phenom.

Thoughts? Should I really take the plunge and get a q6600 or is something better coming down the pike?

Guest r3d c0m3t

Well, Intel is going to release the replacement for the Q6600 (successor) next year, the Q9300 (2.5GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333FSB). I don't know much about it at the moment, but as it's coming out next year I'd suggest going with the Q6600 as it offers ginormous performance for what you're being asked to pay.

Not to mention if you get a G0 revision, that's a 95W TDP compared to B3's 105W which equates to better overclockability. :)

Guest SuppA-SnipA

i am an nvidia and amd fan boy lol

next pc build ill buy for performance, not company

Its good to be a fanboy when what your using is regarded as the best or best for you "at that time", but when you stick with a lessor component out of loyalty or stubbornness your not doing yourself any favors.

We are all fanboy/girls cause we don't exactly have a huge amount of brands to choose from when it comes to a computer, Realistically you have 2 choices for CPU's, 2 choices for G/cards and then all the other component companies have to battle it out with quality, performance and price which is a good thing for us. We need more contenders and although the Mac doesn't appeal to me its still a contender and so people have a whole other choice but they still run on the same brand of components in them, why a Mac 9800pro is still $250 bucks is beyond me and thats one reason I don't go there, and I think Subaru's are awesome looking cars ever since I saw Colin McRea take an Imprezza

all the way around some rally circuit with pin point accuracy may he RIP, but Macs look like the bastard sons of John Merrick.

Now quality memory companies are making quality PSU's and of those, 2 companies seem to be more dominant than the rest. I would generalize it by saying OCZ and Corsair by the fact that they both make quality PSU's. So the fanboyism is only gonna get worse as we have fewer and fewer choices in what we buy or more importantly what we "want" to buy.

. If you even think about a PC they will rant for hours on why apple is better, but all they can seem to bring up is that is has OSX.

I am pretty much into technology and don't care who makes it. I like all computers...WIN, LINUX, MAC ....XBOX360 and PS3. Even though I love Apple for their innovation and insane industrial design, the so called "Elitist" annoy the hell out of me too. Some of who know me may even consider me a Mac guy. There is just no denying how awesome OSX is :) If you have used a modern day mac for more than a couple of minutes and think it sucks....fine. It just seems like everyone that says Apple's comps suck have never used one long enough to appreciate it. Those people seem to have the mentality that Windows is better because more people use them. Linux kicks butt even though they may be one or two machines with Linux installed at the local FRY's for sale. I have always had a shiny Apple sitting next to my IBM machines.....first the APPLE II C and E, next a Power Mac G4, now my Powermac G5 and in the future....maybe a Mac Pro. There will always be one sitting next to my Windows and Linux machines. I got into them pretty much the same way every other die hard mac fan did....through web, print and video editing. I think it is pretty well balanced except in the gaming department....maybe that will change. You don't need to be a Prius driving artsy/fartsy type to enjoy using a Mac.

Ok I own a mac mini which i use as an everyday browser and mail machine. It has boot camp so i can play some old retro games whilst laying in bed.

Then I have my kick butt machine for playing games on (and generall messing with)running vista32 and a boring machine running unbuntu that i use when i need to program in c++ or do anything interesting.

Every platform/OS has it uses.

Hell ill even admit to owning an iphone, but It doesnt change the fact that i think i payed way to much for it, but then i think about it and its replaced my ipod, phone and pda in one hit so i suppose its not that much to pay.

But am I an apple fan boy? nope, if someone produces some thing that i think is better for less or the same money i will buy it. Likewise if AMD produced a processor that i was tempted to buy now then id buy it. (even tho i work for 'the dark side').

O yer this is all based of what i can afford, im not minted (especially not since blowing all that cash on an iphone).