Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Discussion of cabling practices

While zip-tying extra cable into a loop is neater than spaghetti, the best is to have the exact length. ;)

While zip-tying extra cable into a loop is neater than spaghetti, the best is to have the exact length. ;)

I disagree. If someone (or something) messes up an end, then you are screwed. When I work with my dad, we always put in a service loop on each end.

I hear ya rado for neatness, but what if they wanna move the setup from that location? It's pretty easy to keep extra slack just in case. If you're drilling through a wall or a floor you can always tuck the extra cable inside the bay too.

I disagree. If someone (or something) messes up an end, then you are screwed. When I work with my dad, we always put in a service loop on each end.

In particular I was referring to having several extra feet at one end.

I usually leave maybe a foot extra (or foot at each end depending on situation) in case of a bad crimp etc.

On the wall jacks, I can see a foot on that end, on the central point (patch panel) we usually leave 2-3 feet, because you never know what you will need to change and stuff. You would think you wouldn't need it, but I have had to rerun wires because people decided to move their setup and we were just a few inches short.

I hate when that happens, I ran a cable across the entire length of my m-in-l's basement and up into her room, so circa 60ft, including slack. She still ran about 2ft short when she decided to reverse her whole room layout :rolleyes:

That would be awsome! I have about 600ft of cat6 with no connectors on them. I would need to get a crimper tho. :confused:

I'd be willing to take 50' off your hands for cheap, if you dont feel like keeping it :D

Haha, I can't even begin to think of how much spare cat5e I have laying around my garage, just looking I can see atleast 2-3 paper grocery bags full and bulging.

Ok this is the central point: Phone (2 lines, one is comcast digital voice), cable (HDTV, and antenna), and the network (plus the water lines, and one of 3 furnance/AC units).

1116071758a.jpg

excuse the mess, comcast was doing some stuff recently and messed it all up.

Under that stuff, is all the boxes and spools of wires. Boxes are various lengths from 1000' to like 100'. Also has 2 BIG spools of coax and some cat3e. Rest is cat5e.

1116071758.jpg

Finally we come to the scrap heap. 3 bags of cat5e, maybe some cat3, old 25 pair, and a bag of coax.

1116071759.jpg

rado shut up, I am working on cleaning it up. It is just nice having before and after pics.

OMG that has got to be a hazard to animals or something. I wouldn't be surprised if you found a cat entangled in there thats been stuck for months LOL.