Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Discussion of cabling practices

You're not a true computer nerd unless you have the color order memorized;)

You're not a true computer nerd unless you have the color order memorized;)

white-orange

orange

white-green

blue

white-blue

green

white-brown

brown

got it covered ;)

haha I have it down for that, dont ask me crossover. I keep a pocket guide for that.

other end for crossover is:

white-green

green

white-orange

blue

white-blue

orange

white-brown

brown

i.e. just swap the orange and green lines on one end to link the transmit from one NIC to the receive on the other NIC.

Edit: and I typed them without looking at the link Travis posted.

haha I know that now, I just won't remember it

Now I can remember the resistor color code, kinda... they way my dad taught me is racist (its how he was taught it in school)

I've been installing networks and building cables for over 7 years and I doubt if I still know them by heart, I just pull out my cheat sheet and make them ;)

I just buy 'em dirt cheap on ebay, can't be bothered with that crap.

they are SOOOOOO much cheaper building them yourself, no matter what deal you get on ebay.

then there's the whole "how are we going to get a prebuilt cable exactly the length we need and through these small holes with heads already on them?" problem that people like me have to worry about...

Yeah, but I don't wanna have to bother troubleshooting a network if I f.. it up. I just drill a hole big enough for the connector to fit through and then seal it up.

What the hell are you doing up at this time anyways, lol. Still up or up again?

they are SOOOOOO much cheaper building them yourself, no matter what deal you get on ebay.

then there's the whole "how are we going to get a prebuilt cable exactly the length we need and through these small holes with heads already on them?" problem that people like me have to worry about...

QFT

and pre-made cables come in odd lengths anyways; they're invariably too short or way too long.

Yeah, but I don't wanna have to bother troubleshooting a network if I f.. it up. I just drill a hole big enough for the connector to fit through and then seal it up.

What the hell are you doing up at this time anyways, lol. Still up or up again?

troubleshooting a network = $75-$250 per hour...so it's most definitely worth it for me ;)

ps couldn't sleep...

I had a bunch of customers in NY, but I have yet to start freelancing again since I moved to NC. Maybe one day I'll get something going again and then I'll give that a shot, probably not as hard as it seems. I always used a lot of zip ties to tie up slack, that helps make the job look nice and clean.

If I made a cable for a customer and it ended up going bad, I wouldn't feel right to charge to fix it. Of course if it isn't caused by my screw-up I'd hit them up for like $50 an hour, depending who it is. Most of my customers were friends, family or co-workers, and giving the labor up for cheap made word of mouth travel fast. I did pretty good for only working nights and weekends, I should start doing that again.