Sign in to follow this  
jelly

WHS "windows home server"

Not me, but I just read this article, seems as if MS is having some file corruption issues.

This sucks, I was more excited about this whole home server thing than Vista or Vienna combined. Hopefully that will fix the issues on it.

i tried WHS out for a little while, and honestly didnt see anything special in it that a stripped down XP with some add on programs cant do. The only major thing i saw was scheduled backup of certain computers and partitions throughout your home (my NAS can do this, so its even useless for me).

that aside, its a nice idea for windows to do. Now that they have made a program to power anything, lets make those programs bug free.. redesign it all!!!

Guest LithoTech

I was in on the BETA, still have the box it ran on free for the full version when I can afford it.

The thing it did that XP wouldn't do, was see and connect to all the systems on my network without me having to do a damn thing. The backup feature is just what I need for schedualed incremental backups - something that takes hours to setup with Retrospect. Not to mention the OS including a half-arsed system to run on will cost less than Retrospect.

What it wouldn't do, is see my iMac.

When the BETA ran out, I was seriously missing my home server. It became too much trouble to connect and download stuff from an XP system here, and resorted to sneakernet files using USB memory sticks and external hard drives.

Can't wait to get it back up and running again.

Yeah I loved it for the few days that I had it. I am thinking about getting a couple of 1TB drives to back up all of the information on my network (if it doesn't compress the data than I will need a hell of a lot more than 2TB). I might run it on my old X2 rig, just put in my video card, load it up, and take the card out since it can run headless :P

Guest LithoTech
Yeah I loved it for the few days that I had it. I am thinking about getting a couple of 1TB drives to back up all of the information on my network (if it doesn't compress the data than I will need a hell of a lot more than 2TB). I might run it on my old X2 rig, just put in my video card, load it up, and take the card out since it can run headless :P

It'll do more than compress the data. It knows if the same files are present on more than one PC, and only archives a single version of the file. Huge space savings for duplicates of large media libraries, and of course common things like OS files and applications.

It doesn't eat up drive space nearly as fast as you'd think.

I only had 160gigs in mine at first. It managed to backup 6 (or more) systems without filling the 160gig. I put a 500gig in later, as a permenant solution, but after the beta ran out I took the drive for something else.

It'll run fine on an X2 rig, but not sure it would boot without a vid card in it unless the mobo has an onboard vid. It runs headless, yes, but will the board boot without a vid card?

You can put a WHS system together for less cost than a decent NAS system. All you need is a half assed mATX board, the youngest/cheapest dual core CPU (a Sempron will do, but not for the likes of us!), 1 or 2 gigs of ram, a 500gig (starter) drive, case and psu. If you shop for deals on these parts, total cost in the range of $500 would be possible (including the OS).

Add a drive to the system later, and WHS can automatically add it to the existing drive(s), creating it's own proprietory JBOD RAID.

So, like in the latest CPU Magazine article describing a WHS system they put together, I'd add a 3 or 4 drive bay enclosure with hotswap ($60-75). This will make adding or taking drives from the system a snap with no need to even open the case.

Mine was using a socket 939 Gigabyte mATX board with an X2-3800 in an mATX case with only 2x 5.25 drive bays. So I would be limited to a 3 drive bay enclosure.

But I am thinking of totally changing up on that. I have a server case that I would rather use, allowing for a full size ATX mobo and 8 drives (4x hotswap and 4x coldswap - I still need the hotswap unit and backpane, $100+). I use this case for prepping, diagnosis, virus and spyware scanning, and imaging hard drives (clients), because it allows me to jack the drives in very quickly and has gobs of room inside to work with. It wouldn't be a problem to dual boot the system as a WHS and my existing archiving OS with all it's archiving software and utils.

This elevates the cost a lot, but would also free up the Gigabyte system to sell. In the end, I have both functions in only one case.

I was actually thinking of getting a few of the new 640GB drives from WD. But I am hesitant on whether to do a software RAID or hardware RAID. I would try to get 3 of the 640's and put them in RAID5, that way I get the same amount of strange as two 1TBs in RAID1 but I save $100 (3 640's are ~$327 on the egg, 2 1TBs are ~$400). The only problem is that the RAID will be on the hardware level, and if the mobo ever quits, then my data is gone. On the other hand, I can spend the extra $100 and get two 1TB drives and use WHS to duplicate all data onto both drives, that way of any hardware quits, or even software for that matter, I will not lose any information.

All you should have to do is rebuild the array, your data shouldn't get lost if the hardware or software craps out on you. For RAID5 I would recommend a dedicated RAID card, I heard he performance and reliability is much better that way.

Guest LithoTech
But I am hesitant on whether to do a software RAID or hardware RAID. I would try to get 3 of the 640's and put them in RAID5, that way I get the same amount of strange as two 1TBs in RAID1 but I save $100 ... On the other hand, I can spend the extra $100 and get two 1TB drives and use WHS to duplicate all data onto both drives, that way of any hardware quits, or even software for that matter, I will not lose any information.

I am almost positive a software raid won't work with WHS. The tests I did failed miserably and I gave up on it after only a couple attempts.

I don't think that even a hardware raid will work with WHS. It does it's own raid, and doesn't like anything interfering with it. It may work though, need to have someone with a raid card to confirm.

WHS can add drives as additions to it's own raid, which is closest to a JBOD but with built in redundancy. Or you can have WHS leave the new drive as a single drive, and allocate whatever data and tasks you want to it.

WHS can also do it's own parity, sort of raid 1 or 5, and duplicate all (or some) of it's data onto it's own raid or a separate drive.

They really have covered all the bases, so you don't need any extra hardware or software to create redundant backups in case of failure.

With 3 x 640gig drives, I would use WHS to raid a pair of them into it's own drive, and leave the third as a separate drive for WHS to create backups of your most important backups. If you think a single 640gig will not be enough, then swap it out with a 1TB for 2 x 640gig and 1 x 1TB.

Unless you have a LOT of media files, these drives will not fill up fast. It doesn't duplicate anything that is the same, even from different computers on the LAN. So common OS and application files are only copied once (as well as any media or user files that have duplicates on different computers).