3800's

wildman2

yer good rant, all to true.

uve gotta love the old 1900/1950 gpu range, my old 1900xtx dog still pumps out a flat 60fps in css @ 1920x1200 4xAA 8xAF.

i payed through the nose for it over £400 , i fanboyed it & bought one as soon as they came out. since then ive been through 4 different mobo's, 3 sets of ram, 2 cpus & 3 moniters lol & the xtx is still going strong :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome post man. It was like I wrote that as I was reading I knew the words almost before I read them. Old School seems to be pretty good stuff sometimes. At least it seems to be reliable. Heck now days you never know what this new stuff is going to do. Back in the day if a new video card came out it was faster than the previous version you didn't have to question it. Ahh the old Ti days.

You gotta love Angry for telling it like it is! It's nothing but the truth!!

It makes me wonder what Bill Gates' reaction would be if Angry Games was to step to his face and yell at him about how he feels about Vista and DirectX 10!

It makes you wanna say "hmmmmmm...":P

I ordered the Sapphire 100216L HD 3850 last night from NewEgg.

I don't have room on my GA-M61P-S3 for a double wide card like the 3870 and I'm trying to get by with my Enermax ELT500 PSU so the 3850 should fit my needs.

Besides $185 shipped means that even if I do have to upgrade my PSU it won't hurt as much.

I'll keep you posted.

Nice rant AG.

You know what pisses me off?

Round food.

Just this morning I was dishing some veggies onto my plate and this friggin piece of sliced carrot rolls off the plate on to the floor.....

ive found this thread http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=44523

it not exactly proof , but it seems to give an indercation of 3dmark scores. going by the blokes sig & if his scores aint bull the cards could be a good buy.

strap a copple together in an o/ced c2duo rig & the 3D scores could be much higher .

Don't go by 3dMark scores too much anymore. Graphics engines are really not like the 3dMark engine these days, and there isn't a 3dMark DX10 benchmark out either that I know of.

Then take into consideration a game like Crysis...in Far Cry you got a texture map of lots of rocks and pebbles on the ground with some pixelated grass textures and a few trees with easily spotted pixelated leaves and such.

Crysis I see possibly hundreds or thousands of those same rocks and pebbles but I'm pretty sure they aren't 2d texture maps anymore ;)

And an engine like Unreal3 which has some spectacular visuals and effects, probably a bit more advanced than even 3dMark2006.

I guess I'm just not a fan of 3dMark anymore, even for comparison.Too many times I've been able to get a great score on one of those benchmarks (whichever was current at the time) yet most of the games that came out 3 months or later would bring the same system to it's knees. In my experience, a good 3dmark score is only that: a good 3dmark score.

When I pop in FEAR and RS Vegas and COD4 and play my games at 1280x1024 with most options on or maxed and still get mostly 50-ish fps, that's more important than a synthetic benchmark score. Especially since most games now are very random unless they are very linear (like Bioshock), and you could play the same scene 3 times and it plays differently each time.

I'm more willing to look at real game performance. I especially like reviewers like those at Legit Reviews that use FRAPS and pick random sections of games and play through them a few times to get an average score.

I guess 3dmark and other synthetic benchmarks can have some sort of significance in certain situations, but when I read a couple of 3850's in Crossfire can pull 8800GTX numbers in the games I like and at the resolutions I play at, that's when I start to drool.

Then I wait for a bunch of you guinea pigs to buy stuff and complain or praise it, then I go rob banks.

:tooth:

lol goddammit bill where you been? I thought you ran away after I sent you pm asking if you wanted to be moderator hahaha

ps you know what pisses me off? people with jobs that can buy new 3850 video cards lol :tooth:

My job is what ran me off Travis.

Spent $13,000 on a newer van a few months back and also had to squirrel away enough to get me through the Winter months.

Things are finally slowing down.

The only jobs I'm doing right now are when my old employer calls me to help get a boat finished.

Everything I've been working on are 70 to 120 footers.

What really sucks is that they're all waiting for a weather window to head South so everything has to work the first time.

Oh well that's why I make the big bucks. :P

I'll keep you posted on the 3850.

Should be here Wednesday (coming from CA).

Of course Crysis will be here Monday (coming from NJ).

Bill