DFI Nfinity AM2 Defective?

Hey all,

Working with the following

Linksys WRT300N With latest Firmware

DFI Infinity AM2 MII or whatever it is NForce Non SLI

3600 OC'ed x2

DHCP Cable internet

now, i can "connect" to the wired Ethernet by using a 50ft Cat5

however it auto assigns an IP which begins with 169.xxx.xx.xx which is "bad" supposedly i just downloaded the new drivers from DFI's site and they didnt change anything... so is the ethernet jack on my mobo bad??

How can i fix this problem if at all, Linksys tech support wont help they just insist that my mobo has a bad ethernet jack, currently im dual booting XP and Vista Ultimate, and XP wont connect via wired and Vista wont hold a connection via wireless so im stuck..

Please Help

Thanks

if your LAN adapter is giving the dreaded 169.xxx IP, it's a problem with the LAN port. I can't remember if there's a spot in the BIOS (Genie BIOS usually) that you can manually input a MAC address like you could the old NF4 Lanparty boards. This almost always corrected this problem on the NF3 and NF4 boards.

The other easy solution is just get a decent 10/100/1000 NIC with a 3Com, Intel, or Realtek chip on it. These can be found for about $10-$100 depending on the features. I can sell ya one for $10 + $5 shipping since I have a zillion laying around.

Or you can RMA the board to DFI. My gf has this exact board and her onboard port works no problem so if you can't manually enter the MAC address in the bios to correct it, then RMA it or just get a PCI network card.

Thanks for the response Angry.

I will have to look in the BIOS, as i spend most time tinkering in there with RAM settings.

If not yeah, it looks as if a cheap NIC is in order, or perhaps just tough it out with Wireless until i upgrade in the near future to a Penryn.

Thanks