Sign in to follow this  
nghisus

Don't you wish you could warn everybody about buying a machine from a

the biggest complaint i get about those store comps is that its loaded with stuff you dont need. ofcourse its nice to get a bundle with a screen, keyboard, mouse, windows etc, but usually people already have those. i mean, how often do you replace your keyboard when its working fine? (dont ask me, i love buying those things, every month). and why another XP license when you already have one?

Guest r3d c0m3t

I have a similar gripe, but mine is of a different nature. One of my folks wants to buy an OEM PC (from "The Devil") and she keeps forgetting I can build a system that's just as good, if not better for almost half of the price.

What annoys me even more is every time she notices my computer has changed (whether it be in a new case, or I'm just inside messing around with stuff) she always asks me where I brought it from, as if someone else did it for me. :mad:

Aside from that, she wants a PC from Satan and she wants to go with one of their tech management warranties, or whatever the hell it's called. I can manage it for free and avoid the almost possible lead of misinformation.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is what "HAPPENS" when the factory warranty runs out on a mass produced PC (i.e. Dell, HP, Gateway, eMachines etc). It is a lot cheaper to replace a motherboard, hard drive, power supply etc. on a custom built rig than it is trying to buy certain proprietary parts found on mass produced PC's.

what kills me is places like bluehippo!

HP Compaq Business Desktop dc5100

You only pay: $21.99 a week.

The HP Compaq dc5100 Business Desktop PC offers enhanced manageability solutions, long lifecycles, and common software image to help reduce support costs and simplify PC ownership for a wide range of business needs. This flexible system provides mainstream features and support for simple deployment into any existing IT infrastructure. With stable, long lifecycles and manageability features.

# Monitor sold separately

# Floppy drive not included

# 2.8GHz Pentium 4 Processor 520 w/HT Technology

# 512MB RAM

# 40GB Hard Drive

# CD-ROM

# 10/100/1000 Ethernet

$1200 a year!!!

what kills me is places like bluehippo!

$1200 a year!!!

Targeting the people most desperate for a PC and probably the poorest. Another shameful example of exploiting the neediest people in the population. I guess some might argue that bh provides a service to those that would otherwise do without.

Don't know if I buy into that argument though.

I gave up on them... All I can do is try to shoo them away from sony and e-mechines.. I won't build for new users anyway .. They have to be at least semi advanced. It's a real bad idea. As they have a tendency to mess things up and blame the builder. And if they are advanced enough to know the diffrence they can build it themselves. With maybe a coupla' pointers. Sheeesh.... It's not exactly rocket science..

the worst part is when they try to upgrade as stated above....i have seen mass produced pc's with no remove proc's and specially drsigned hardware that could not be upgraded period or would cost way to much for the little gain that they would get...if all you need is checking e-amil and word processing, then a dell aint that bed....but if you want something that you can upgrade, something that will last for years, build it....

The WORSE part is having people ask me to downgrade from Vista to XP for them. Hunting for drivers is a PITA to the 1x10^9099999999. I've had to call the manufacturer 2 out 3 times already to get drivers for really silly crap.

Nothing wrong with a store bought machine if it suits their needs. I'm saying they're definitely getting a better performing machine. The biggest problem used to be the lack of RAM but I think manufacturers have listened. I think one of the issues now is the HD speed. I fixed a laptop the other day with a 4200 RPM hard drive...who does that?!

Let's try not to justify the logic when somebody buys a computer from a store for gaming, that's just silly.

yeah...rofl....my dad's office has bout 15 lenovo tablets..he's a dr. and they have a "paperless" system where they can pull charts and whatnots, and all the h.d.'s in them a 4200rpm....the kool thing with them is if the sstem senses a shock, it will physicalls stop the h.d. from spinning for a set amount of time...i have watched my dad drop his from bout 6 while stepping outa his truck and it fell right on the corner....not a problem with it....but there is one employee who goes through h.d. up there 1 bout every week....we cant figure out what she is doing to them, but they keep going out. but there seems to be a big demand for 60gb 4200rmp hitachi drives right now cause we had to wait like 2 weeks for some more.......thank got for part replacement warranties :)

Dang? Seriously? There's gotta be something else wrong with that machine. They should issue him a totally different machine instead of just fixing his...if they haven't tried that already.

actually one thing ive noticed is that pre built computrers are a lot cheaper nowadays than building one. that doesnt mean that they are better, just cost a lot less.

actually one thing ive noticed is that pre built computrers are a lot cheaper nowadays than building one. that doesnt mean that they are better, just cost a lot less.

Ususally only for low to mid range machines; high end it's often less expensive to build it yourself.