SATA to IDE? (or vice versa?)

hi Im running DFI Lanparty UT nf3 250GB board, with 2x Western Digital 80GB HDD on the primary IDE channel, and 1x CD-ROM + 1x DVD-ROM drives on the secondary IDE channel. This motherboard has FOUR SATA connectors on it, I need to know 2 things please:

A) is it possible to connect IDE drives (either HDD or CD-ROM types or possible even a zip drive!) to the SATA?

B) How do I do such a thing IF it IS possible?

I should say I have purchased 2 seperate dongles(?) both claiming they can convert IDE to SATA, but when I connect them nothing happens! ( I mean the system doesnt even notice them!)

I would really really appreciate some guidance, actually more than guidance lets say you were trying to teach an idiot to tap-dance OK?

p.s. am I right in thinking IDE & SATA speeds arent that much different? And also if say I kept my HDD containing my OS as IDE master but switched the other HDD to SATA there would be no degradation in performance? Same goes for my 2 CD/DVD-ROM drives?

thankyou for taking the time to read & also for any help you can give me

if you have a SATA optical drive it will work on the SATA ports without problems.

for hard drives, you'd need an IDE-to-SATA converter. You cannot use one on an optical drive that I am aware of (I've tried many times but they don't work, only with ide hdd's for some reason).

IDE and SATA drive performance is not really all that different, however the burst and throughput is higher on the SATA II interface (which your NF3 doesn't have). But not by all that much really. on the NF3 the SATA interface is still run through the IDE bus, so any gains you might get from a SATA drive won't be realized on the NF3.