P35 Blood Iron + Q6600 + OCZ Platinum XTC

Oh, and you don't need the extra 200mhz.

Unless little Beaver was smaller than I thought. Which I never thought I'd ever have to type...ever. :D

u can probably expect this, but i'll say it anyway....

do you REALLY have to type that? ever? :eek:

:P

but yes, im pretty sure 200mhz isnt worth the extra temp, but now im here, sitting at 3.4... i wanna kno if i can hit 3.6... then whats the vcore needed at that point? whats the temp? i mean, seriously... 200mhz does not worth 10degree celc, but 400mhz IMHO worth a 12degree celc :P may not be the case... actually, im pretty sure its NOT the case :tooth: but i just have to find out... ull never kno unless u try. yes, this case, trying it may be costly, but heck... wheres the fun in not trying? :D

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im pretty sure 200mhz isnt worth the extra temp, but now im here, sitting at 3.4...

What volts got you 3.4? Most people on air are using the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with a fan or 2 to control temps when oc'ing past 3.4. However, you need to pump up voltage. The Thermalright seems to keep temps around mid - high 60's, from what I've read, when over volting.

I really like the fact that the SLACR GO's seem to really clock well at stock volts. Good work so far.

What volts got you 3.4? Most people on air are using the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with a fan or 2 to control temps when oc'ing past 3.4. However, you need to pump up voltage. The Thermalright seems to keep temps around mid - high 60's, from what I've read, when over volting.

I really like the fact that the SLACR GO's seem to really clock well at stock volts. Good work so far.

too hot, thats what volt it is lol

on 3.2Ghz:

VTT +100mv (=1.2+.1=1.3V; BIOS=1.3; SG=1.296 idle, 1.69~1.80 load)

HT = 1.40V (SG=1.39~1.4 idle, 1.39 load)

HT = 1.37V (or .38, i forgot)(SG=1.36 idle, 1.36 load)

Temp = ~32 idle, 51~53 load

on 3.4Ghz:

VTT +150mv (1.35V; BIOS=1.34; SG=1.34 idle, 1.296 load)

HT = 1.43V (SG=1.43~1.45 idle, 1.43 load)

NB = 1.45V (SG=1.45idle, 1.43~1.44 load)

Temp = 30~35 idle, 56~60 load

on Zalman 9700NT. too hot for my liking.

VTT +100mv (=1.2+.1=1.3V; BIOS=1.3; SG=1.296 idle, 1.69~1.80 load)

Is that a typo? Your 3.4 OC looks about right regarding temps. 56-60 @ 1.35 Vcore is about what most people are getting on air. For that cpu that's not too hot. When it starts getting into the 70's, then it's time to start backing down. Seems you got a really decent overclock running on that board.

nope, not a typo.

3.4 also not that stable since it crashed on Crysis :D tho its 4hr+ prime stable tho... odd...

currently running 3.2 with load no more than 53... nice and cool :)

will attempt 3.4+ again once i finished Crysis :P

70, eh? looks like i can shoot alittle more juice to this puppy...

Take a look at this article from Anantech. It centers around the Blood Iron's bigger brother, however, you have a lot of the same BIOS functions on your board. This may be helpful to you. You may also want to consider more actively cooling your Northbridge area. From what I've read, most people seem to clock to around 9x400, I believe using the 333 strap ( I could be wrong here, research it a bit more ) on this board. With the quads, 450 FSB is pretty high on this board.

Isnt the thermal cut off of the Q6600 G0 100 deg C? although for everyday running i wouldn't go within 20 deg of that, but then you have to remember that nothing out there really stresses the fours cores like artificial software is designed to do. (orthos).

On a side note have you seen how hot a stock QX series processor can get on a stock Intel heatsink? (i have seen close to that 100 in core temp, although thats still a software/hardware reading not a thermal imaging camera reading or similar).

I guess my point is if they are designed to run at stock performance on a stock heatsink, then i wouldn't sweat it.

My proc runs well over 60 deg under full orthos loading. but like i said it runs hotter doing the same thing at stock on its original equipment.

Also I had a previous OC with the same machine, Orthos stable for 4-5 hours but after an hour of COD4 sp demo My system crashed. :( Im gonna guess thats its the effect of the huge amount of heat that a graphics card produces when under massive stress, upping case temps and thus VRM's became unstable. I need to get some small ram sinks for those really. :)

Orthos stable for 4-5 hours

You may not have been as stable as you think. I like to see at least 8 hours P-95 stable at around 7 or 8 priority. I usually shoot for 12 hours stable P-95 or more. I have tried for 12 hours stability and failed 8 hours into it. Sounds like your overclock needs a bit more tweaking.

You may also want to consider more actively cooling your Northbridge area.

ah, did i mention the Northbridge is using JingTing force cooler? :)

Blood Iron comes with a passive slab of metal :( it never saw a hint of action :P i got the board and pop it immediately. ;)

will try pushing more voltage on this sucker... with the x9 multi i should be able to hit 3.6 hopefully, coz 450x6 primed over 4hr.......

ah, did i mention the Northbridge is using JingTing force cooler?

Sweet cooler. I see that your in Canada, where did you source that cooler. I can't find it in the usual places I shop. I checked NCIX and they did not have it.

performance-pc... yes i have to pay the import tax crossing the border lol

so im currently bringing out the bigguns now... 1.45Vcore, but 1.36Vnb and Vtt... 400x9....

temp on load is now hitting the 70s lol... average load is ~65C on Prime, and average idle is ~40... but thats with my Zalman9700NT screaming like a freakin banshee.....

so currently, im looking to get a pair of Thermalright 120Extreme with Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000rpm 87.6CFM fan... that should cool it down further, but i can tone down the rpm if i need to. i could opt for a Kaze Jyuni 1200rpm - 68.5CFM at nearly 10db quieter, but i rather have power that i can tone down, than not having the extra power if i need to.

anyhow, 400x9 still fails Prime over 1hr here... but doing everything else, it never crashes. so i may need to wait for a new cooler before upping the voltage and prime-ing it back. i dont dare to increase the voltage at this point (im getting old) with temps hitting the low 70s....

400x9 still fails Prime over 1hr here... but doing everything else, it never crashes. so i may need to wait for a new cooler before upping the voltage and prime-ing it back. i dont dare to increase the voltage at this point (im getting old) with temps hitting the low 70s....

What sort of vdroop are you getting under load?

IMO 1.4v ish is about right for 3600GHz with a GO Q6600 provided you aren't getting to much vdroop. I would be inclined to up the NB voltage a notch or too before upping the vcore any more or have you tried that already ?

The TRUE 120 is an awesome cooler I have done 3.8GHz in the 70's Prime stable on my Q6600 with it so I am sure you are going to love it.

Also make sure the PWM is getting plenty of air otherwise that could cause of Prime failing.

CN :)