(NEW) DIY-street.com Storefront Discusion thread

dr_bowtie

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yay for Dell!

I recommend Dell for laptops about 10:1 over anything else (because 10:1 my customer ratio is customers who just need a laptop, the 1's they need corporate or specialized laptops and Dell makes good ones but sometimes others make it more to their specialized needs).

Everyday joe customers though, they can specialize their laptops (and desktops, but we don't talk 'bout dat 'roun here yaknow? heh) to suit their needs/budgets.

I also still highly recommend Dell for desktops to customers who can't spend what I charge to build a computer for them (mine start at $750 for just the tower, mouse-kb, no monitor, speakers, nothing else). Where else can you get an entire computer, speakers and flatscreen LCD and usually printer and all, for $500-ish?

Sure they are integrated buggers with very low RAM counts, but a $500 computer with everything and DDR2-800 from Newegg for $50-ish to get someone up to 2GB (from their 256MB or whatever Dell is putting in machines now at those price points haha, but to get 2GB from Dell costs like $250 or something outrageous, and their desktops nor standard laptops do NOT need "Dell Certified" or such crap when it comes to memory...standard desktop memory works perfectly in them...it's only when you get into the enterprise stuff that you got to watch what you put in them).

Then there's the special deals like when they have coupon codes and such where you can get a lovely 24" widescreen LCD for like $497 or sometimes cheaper, or the 8800GT 512MB card that is in a thread in this section for $207-ish.

So we might love our home-brew rigs we build ourselves, but most people (the 85%) don't. And if you are going to buy from an OEM, might as well buy from the best one (HP's are ok but trying to get into those cases KILLS me and I add an instant $50 charge when I have to work on them just because it can take 20 minutes just to get to a hard drive or DRAM slot).

If you think of Dell, well, check 'em out and configure away ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ya know, I just dropped into the DIY store.

I was pretty impressed man.

Like all of the great sites, plus a couple of good ones I should have visited before.

Nice job mang!

We gettin' some clicks?

Anyone been able to track the store?

Gotta run, my Everest is almost expired. "Click"

Ya know, I just dropped into the DIY store.

I was pretty impressed man.

Like all of the great sites, plus a couple of good ones I should have visited before.

Nice job mang!

We gettin' some clicks?

Anyone been able to track the store?

Gotta run, my Everest is almost expired. "Click"

Two weeks ago I purchased five of the Dell Vostro 1000 Notebooks through my business account.

AMD 3600 Sempron Processor

1 GB RAM

ATi Radeon xPress 1150 (integrated - shared)

120gb Hard Drive

DVD/CD DL Burner

Windows XP

Integrated Mini-Wireless Card

$399 a piece.

I've been playing around with one of them and I'm fairly impressed. It's no gaming machine by any means, but it plays DVD's smoothly and is pretty snappy considering only the AMD Sempron and 1gb of RAM.

I've had an old Dell C600 for a few years now and that sucker still works and it's been through hell.

I don't hesitate to recommend Dell laptops and it's great to have them onboard with us.

Congatulations.

P.S. Only gripe about the Vostro 1000 Notebook I've been playing with is that the DVD/CD burner/player is noisy as hell.