Upgraded: Now What? Temperatures

Well I took the plunged and plunkered down for a X2 4200+. Upgraded from a 3000+ Venice @ 2.4ghz.

Initially I was pissed because a couple of the pins were bent. However, I remembered you can fix that with a mechanical pencil. After that, slapped on some AS5 and my Arctic Freezer Pro.

Everything booted up fine but ITE guardian was all funky. The fan speeds were going between 1300 and zero for my cpu cooler and my fan2 was stuck at 600rpm. Uninstalling old and reinstalling the newest version of ITE fixed that. The next thing was download all the MS hot fixes and the AMD dual core optimizer.

Now here are the questions and info on my settings:

CPU FSB: 235mhz

CPU Start Up: 1.325v

CPU Special VID: 104%

LDT/FSB: 4X

Memory: 9/10 Dividers

Timing: 3-3-3-8 1T

Mem V: 2.8v

Everything else was set to default and CnQ was of course turned off.

I started Orthos 2004 dual core edition and when I was testing it, my temperatures started to sky rocket. That is, according to Everest and Core Temp.

LOAD

Everest:

CPU: 44C

CPU 1: 59C

CPU 2: 53C

Core Temp:

Core 0: 59C

Core 1: 53C

ITE Guardian:

CPU: 44C

IDLE

Everest:

CPU: 35C

CPU 1: 38C

CPU 2: 39C

Core Temp:

Core 0: 40C

Core 1: 37C

ITE Guardian:

CPU: 35C

I left the case open for the Load part. So question is, which of those temperatures represent a "true" indication of CPU temps and should be more worried about? If its the Everest and Core Temp. Im very concerned about it reaching 60C for one of the cores. Also my PWMIC was around 61ish. A little too high?

BTW chipset never exceeded 47C. I LOVE THE THERMALRIGHT HR-05.

I ran Orthos for about 3 hours and decided to stop in case those temps were too high until I get a better cooling case.

And lastly, is there anything else to install besides the AMD optimizer?

Thanks a lot for reading this guys.

U got the AC 64 Pro on it?

My load temps @ 2.7ghz are 56 each core. I would look at the CORE temps rather than the CPU temps. That is really high for non-stock cooling and stock oc. try reseating or let the as5 settle

you went from a Venice (single core?) to a X2 (dualcore) firstly id deffinitly recommend you reinstall windows if you havent yet. also id deffinitly reset the heatsink if your temps are that bad. could be other stuff, supprised the pins came bent, was it in retail packaging?

another question you said your chipset never hit over 47'c ? with an aftermarket Heatsink?, i think you may have misread the temps in everest if thats where you got that from, Motherboard refers to the PWM temp, and northbridge refers to the Chipset temp. so 47'c on the Northbridge temp is kinda high as im running the stock cooler at 38'c on 1.7v . as far as 47'c goes for the PWM its within spec, as you just like myself are running a High Wattage Dualcore cpu. mine before i attached a fan to my waterblock to blow air across the pwm sinks was hitting 53'c after mounting a small fan to blow air through there iv droped down to 38'c and thats with a monster load of 3080Mhz on my cpu @ 1.525v its almost 240w of power draw which in turn Adds to the Pwm temps. But maybe im wrong if that is your accual Chipset temp id seriously consider reseating that while your at it.

Yeah its with the AC Pro on it. Im just going to wait till I get the CM690 case and reset the heatsink when I move into it.

Anyway, so the CORE temps are more important that CPU? ANd are the programs I am using fairly accurate?

What is the cpu frequency?

Did it need an increase from stock vcore to get it to where you have it?

if not put it back to stock.

with those high temps why not reseat the hsf now?

core temp in my opinion is the most accurate.

I'm with Franzkefka on recommending a fresh install of windows.

I think your temps look in line to what I have seen in the past.

Certainly similar to one of my rigs and of course a lot is dependent on case, air flow, and the correct mounting of the HSF.

CoreTemp is a great program and the coolest has certainly done some fine work.

But read this before you freak out cause of temps

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showpost.p...6&postcount=122

If you are really concerned with temps you may want to have a look at the MBM5 (link below my sig).

It offers a great deal of info at a glance and (hopefully) is very easy to set up on the DFI NF4s :)

• 4 months later...

im giving up on this rig....

after a few hours of just surfing, dling, etc.. it will start to idle at 45-48C and the only way to get it down to low 40s again is to turn every fan i have on full blast plus gfx card...

i have 1 intake, 1 bottom intake, 1 top exhaust, 1 back exhaust and psu exhaust, all 120mm. ive remounted and readjusted the cooler so the a64 blows back out of the case instead of up or down.. that helped a little but seeing idling so high frustrates me.. gaming even puts it up to even 61ish...

the only thing i can think of now is to lap both the chip and the heatsink but i have niether time or skill..

everything is running fine so imma just leave it alone. ive thrown enough money at it and im just gonna use it till it gives up the ghost and backup my hdd a bit more often until i can afford a new rig..

any suggestions besides lapping or removing the ihs will be appericated.

-ae