Sign in to follow this  
I-MANjueö

Wierd powerup issue

I have this really wierd problem powering my computer up.

If I shut it down in the night and the next morning press the powerbutton, nothing happens.

All leds and stuff is lit on the mainboard and everything seems fine but I can press 50 times without any reaction.

But, if i leave it for 5 min then get back and press the button... wholaaa!!!... powers up with one press.

If I pull the powercord and move the computer is worse.. If i then move the computer to another place then this 5 min delay can be up to 30 min and more.

I found out that if i shut the computer down windows in "Stand by" im able to power it up by just one press. but then ill haveto press the resetbutton because the screen stays black.

Its been like this for about 1 year of its 2 years of age, i havnt really seen this as a major problem b/c when the system is running, it rocks solid! But sometimes its just really really annoying, like when you wanna check the local traffic schedules online very fast :)

Ive tried other powersupplies and BIOS upgrade without any difference

Anyone heard of this issue?

Hello,

What parts are you using in the board?

¬ Make a list.

I have heard of this issue, can happen a lot of the power supply us failing or underpowered.

What power supplies have you been using?

Hello,

What parts are you using in the board?

¬ Make a list.

I have heard of this issue, can happen a lot of the power supply us failing or underpowered.

What power supplies have you been using?

Inventory:

Antec Truepower 480W PSU

Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 2048MB Kit w/two matched

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR, nForce4 SLI, Socket-939

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2GHz Socket 939 2MB, BOXED

XFX GeForce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express, Dual-D

2 x Seagate 7200.8 320GB SATA 16MB 7200RPM

The powersupply im using has been the most powerful PSU of the ones ive tried out but i haveto mention that this PSU and the ones ive tried has the "old ATX" cable, the extra 4pin socket has been unused on the mainboard.

I havnt really analyzed the voltage values during idle and load in case of underpower, i will do that. The wierd thing is that it worked earlier

The powersupply im using has been the most powerful PSU of the ones ive tried out but i haveto mention that this PSU and the ones ive tried has the "old ATX" cable, the extra 4pin socket has been unused on the mainboard.

This has likely been your problem all along. You should have all four power connectors attached to the board (and that includes the native 24 or 20+4 atx connector).

Lucky for you the board has ran stable like this for as long as it has. There isn't anything wrong with the Antec power supply, it just wasn't designed to be used with this type of board.

Fortunately, prices on good > high quality power supplies designed for your board have come down tremendously in recent months.

Take a look at the recommended power supplies list here at the Street and see if you can't squeeze one of them into your budget.

I can personally vouch for the xClio 500W Goodpower unit as a decent power supply to run a DFI NF4 midrange system if cost is a major consideration. The Rosewill unit is also doing fairly well. Don't know if either are available in your locale though.