Sign in to follow this  
CODESEVEN

Maxing out 939

Below are my current specs. I would like to keep this nice DFI board and Ballistix memory for another year or two. The video card is an easier decision given that another 7800gtx for SLI will cost about as much as a single, better performing 8800 card (especially with the 8800gt coming out). As far as the CPU, with the prices of 939 CPU's so low would it make sense to replace my perfectly good 3700+ with a 4800x2 or 180/185 Opti? Thanks

codeseven

im not sure the 939 can last 2 more years. however, as you have said, those chips are very cheap now and can at least last another year. id go for a 4200X2 though. for some reason that cpu is much much cheaper then anything above. its a big performance gain and certainly worth it

Thanks Repr.

From what I've read around the web the 4200x2 seems to be a very popular 939 CPU. This will be the last upgrade for this system (besides the video card) and I want to be sure and get the max that 'ol 939 socket had to offer. I dont know much about overclocking so chances are what I replace that stock 3700 with will also remain stock thats why I lean more towards the 4800x2/185 Opti end of things.

the current batch of x2 4200's are crap....they need .05v just to get another 200mhz...and some get hot...but if you can get a deal on a X2 I say do it....

judging from the many many opterons floating on this forum i assume they overclock better. but i dont know about those

You can get that setup to last you a few more years, I am still running on a single core opty socket 939 and it is fast enough for me, it all just depends on what you need it for. . I would find a good dual core opteron CPU, as they overclock higher than most X2 CPUs on the market.

I had a X2 4800 and could only get it to clock up about 200mhz, when I had a daul core opty I was able to get it to clock up over 500mhz from stock speed.

I don't limit myself to a PC with a time frame, I just know I need to upgrade when the programs that I want to use are running to slow.

@Codeseven

If it were me, I wouldn't bother upgrading the cpu, unless you just want to play around with a dual core. I'd clock the heck out of that SD and run it at max clocks. If I were going to upgrade something, get a water cooling kit. It's a very good project and when you're done, go for max clocks/volts on the SD.

Given the performance difference between the newer Intel dual cores (and their lower cost), I'd be more inclined to save money toward a whole new rebuild. Given DDR2 prices, for about $100 more than what Newegg wants for a Opty 185, you can get a very clockable C2D, motherboard and 2x1G DDR2 RAM, using your existing card. EBay the 7900 and use the proceeds for a 8800 GT. Zipzoomfly is listing the stock clocked one for $249 + free shipping. Unfortunately, they are out of stack at the moment. ;)

Sign in to follow this