Sign in to follow this  
Repr

First 8800GT 512 review?

I’ve read the on-line reviews of the card.

I’m jealous.

I know your pissed at its price per performance, but its hardly a loser.

From Anantech:

….

Getting Cocky: 8800 GT vs. the GTX

We've already established that NVIDIA's new 8800 GT is better than the 8800 GTS, and we've just proved that the 8800 GT is a much better value than the 8600 GTS, but how does it fare against the current king of the hill - the GeForce 8800 GTX?

We would be out of our minds to expect the 8800 GT to even remotely compete with the GTX, but the real question is - how much more performance do you get from the extra money you spent on the GTX over the GT?

Because the 8800 GT does top the 8800 GTS, there is an even smaller gap between the 8800 GT and the GTX than between the existing $400 and $500 parts. With a smaller difference in performance than the GTS and about a $250 to $300 premium for the 8800 GTX beyond the part that falls one step down in performance, we really don't see much motivation to purchase the 8800 GTX.

But, as long as you are happy with your card thats all that matters.

O.K., I got my 8800 GTX when it was released. It’s almost a year ago. Do I get most from the power&speed of the card? I’d say, no, no, not yet even after almost one year passed.

8800 GTX forced me to upgrade:

I was on NVIDIA 580 mainboard with FX-60 CPU. That was not enough, at least I thought. Then I moved to 680i & X6800. It cost me more money than I planned.

The 680i was a hit or miss:

I wasted more than three months just to get my box working. I ended up with replacing the mainboard.

ForeWare is not mature:

When will NVIDIA be able to release the driver to make the best use of the card’s potential?

A move to the new OS:

Forget Vista and DirectX10. Period.

….maybe I’d learn from lessons – just don’t jump to the “flagship” cards / CPUs, Instead, wait until the card like 8800 GT that are fast & powerful enough and worth money, time && efforts to get the card working in the box…

Exactly my point when I wrote price to performance.
Praz, please point me to your post. I’d love to read your article.

Alright, alright i get the picture. I'll stop my complaining. I'll just wait till near the end of step up period and upgrade to whatever is the best option for me...besides this gt. I just meant i had mixed feelings about this card being about equal to mine for a lot cheaper.

And I'm mad at myself because i always buy at the wrong time, something new and cheaper and better pops right up after. My own fault. Ok, no more whining. I didn't realize i was coming off that way.

I'm thinking of selling my 320MB 8800GTS and picking one of these up (and paying about $20-$30 difference in price).

I don't really need it, but you know...

Dunno if I can live without my main rig having a nice vid card for the 2 weeks it would take to complete such a swap lol.

I'm thinking of selling my 320MB 8800GTS and picking one of these up (and paying about $20-$30 difference in price).

I hear ya AG! I'm Ebaying my GX2 and I'm going to get one of these cards from EVGA. Should the 9xxx cards come out within the trade-up period, I'll probably trade it, but from what I have read from reviews, this card will really perform for <<$$ at a 1680x1050 resolution.

Zipzoomfly has the best price so far, stock clocks for $249, free shipping. HOWEVER, no stock!

ya everyone is out

I don't have to have the latest and greatest, but I don't mind moving up in performance for almost zero money, so it's a good deal for me and for the majority of us gamers I think to spend $10-$50 to get a pretty good bit of performance increase (nothing ultra stellar but enough from every one of those benchmarks from every review to realize that the 8800GT is a better card than the 8800GTS 320MB so if I can get that card for only a few dollars, why wouldn't I?)

Go read about the new models of the g92 at anandtech's sit, You might like them better.

Plus i bet nvidea is going to release some kind of 8900 variant around xmas. Just in time for me to step up. Hopefully. :)

lol i know you are angry about the G92 but I think I'm interested in the 8800GT 512MB. G92's will be too expensive for the good gaming cards, and the low-end models will be like 8600GT, some . I don't want lol.

Naw, I'm not mad anymore..heh. I was kinda peeved at nvidea for releasing a better, cheaper card right after i bought mine, but that's just me buying at the wrong time, as usual. I can laugh about it now, cuz to be honest i don't like the cards design. I kinda like that huge double cooler heating up my 'puter room...heh...saves me heating oil money. :rolleyes:

Besides, it lets me know i got a video card in there...lol. Dam thang is 'UGE! Enjoy your card Travis! If anybody deserves a good one it's you. :)

Guest ElAguila

I broke down and ordered one and it will be here on Wednesday. I am going to try my VF1000 on it and see if it fits and how well it cools if it does fit.