DFI P35 Chipset & Mosfet H2O, What to use?

WakeUpDead

Well Im finishing my new C2D rig, I dont know what to use for the DFI P35's NB and SB Chipsets and the Volt reg(Mosfet)? I was going to try a MCW30 off my old NF590 and buy a new one if it works on both NB and SB. If not, any ideas what will fit?

I see they have Asus H2O Mosfet blocks, all kinds of them. Do any fit the DFI P35? I was going to order a 2-3 diffrent ones and test them(or Mod), but someone may know what I need. Any ideas?

One general question/ your opinion? What cooling fluid does everyone use? And what is considered the best, if there is?

I have always made my own with regular auto coolant and additives, I never have had any issues in over 5yrs. I know there is something better out there I just havent tryed any of the PC cooling fluids.

Thanks guys!

Looks like the MCW-30 or DD Maze4 could work with the NB/SB. H2O usually isn't necessary for the PWMIC, so I'd say just make sure you've got a good sink on them (HITandRUN makes custom sinks if you need one).

For optimal cooling performance, just use straight distilled H2O with a few drops of Biocide (algaecide) and dye. The engine coolants (e.g. Zerex, Pentosin) contain a lot of corrosion inhibitors as well, which are only necessary in a mixed-metals loop; so as long as you just have copper and/or brass (no aluminum) in your loop the H2O + Biocide works well.

The MCW30 will fit both the NB and SB chips. However, the Maze4 is a better combination for the SB. There is no retail ready cooling solution for the PWM area yet. Neither air nor water. The heatpipe solution is a good method of cooling all three areas. I ran Prime last night for twelve hours at 3800MHz and the max temp on the NB was 41C and the PWM 46C.

Thanks I was looking at (Alphacool MB Heattrap for Volt Reg, Alphacool NexXxoS NBXS-A for NB and the MCW30 for SB). The more I look, I think those will be fine.

I do have the 9x120mm fans on a 1080RAD pulling out through the top and 4 front and 3 rear 120mm + 2x80mm intake fans. So the regulators should be fine, just wanted to H2O them because, everything that can be H2O, is going to be H2O on this build.

Any other ideas, or suggestions?

Thanks!

Also....

I would tend to use the Cheaper brands of Auto anti-freeze if you must use that...

The more expensive brands use alot of Silicate for inhibitor and lubricating properties...it works well but tends to "Fall-out" more so than others and thats the stuff that clings to the metal and makes the coating in the pipes/tubes and other things....

if you open up a radiator in a car the silicate is the formation deposit you see in the radiator that build up in the system...

Yea it works well but needs to be flushed often to remove the build up...once build up form flow can reduce and temps can rise.... you wont see it much on a small water cooling system like you would a Auto's system...

A trip to the hardware store to get some Algeside for Humidifiers and add that to your water and some lube and what ever else will work best...

Also Anti-Freeze doesnt come even close to the thermal transfer of straight water...another thing to keep in mind....