System switching off during overclock

Hi, I had an Athlon 64 X2 (as signature still shows doh), it was doing 260x10. I bought an Opteron 165 from a guy who reckoned it was doing 300x9 and well aside from not finding stability at that speed I'm encountering something very peculiar. At 223MHz x9 the thing is rock stable (24 Hour orthos stable). At 224MHz x9 I have encountered without consistency - random freezing and more to the point of this post, when loading it up it has shut itself off! As in the power goes out without any blue screen or warning or any such thing!

Things to bear in mind:

* The previous CPU was doing 260x10 so the idea that there's insufficient anything can be easily disqualified as all supporting components have proven themselves.

* CPU temperatures are so low under load at 223MHz, barely hitting 30 degrees celsius!

* Shutdown setting in the BIOS was disabled despite knowing CPU temps were great just to rule out the entire mechanism.

So what else can cause it to literally power off? This has to be a pure hardware issue but what? Your ideas are welcome.

cheers -cc

30 degrees C on the PMWIC is ICE COLD.

Sure you got the correct temp?

To your issue.

Older versions of Speedfan and Sandra can shut the board down like that.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=10...890&postcount=8

Just thought you might be using Speedfan due to the possible temp confusion.

4 x1G sticks are gonna be tough to OC even with CPC set to 2 instead of 1.

Have you tried with just 2 sticks?

There are three temperatures coming off the ITE chip - 23 34 28, and I'm going for the PMWIC one as the second since the BIOS shows them by name, and I compared what it read out temp wise and that with idle during windows (using Speedfan latest version).

The shutdown didn't occur during Speedfan use or sandra use - when I was Orthos'ing it was just CPU-Z 1.41 and Orthos together on screen.

Are you saying that even with memory dividers the 4x sticks will limit the overclock?

As a point of interest, lowering the multiplier from x9 to x8 and pushing the FSB (with RAM at 1:1 as before)to 250MHz gives me a stable system. So we are then running the RAM at full spec, the FSB is up but the cores are slightly down. I will test without 4x sticks soon though (just need to fix some MFT corruption caused by the last overclock crash grrr!).

• 1 month later...

I have traced the shutdown to possible race conditions between the motherboard and utilities that monitor (all of them, CPU-Z coretemp RMClock etc etc). I achieve no shutdowns by running without any monitoring apps, so gave coretemp the flick (since I had found a forum thread through google with my identical issue) and also adjusted RMClock advanced settings(again, forum thread elsewhere with identical issue). I also now use CPU-Z sparingly (just to check things and then quit, as opposed to just letting it sit there before). All in all the shutdowns have all but disappeared!.

Fascinating really though, that software can irritate things to the point of an instant-off.