mATX Mobo

Uncle_Mojo

The wife's mobo has expired. Need a recommendation for a good mATX board to replace it with. I've got some good 939 AMD chips as well as some Pentium Ds. Memory isn't an issue either, as I have plenty of DDR and DDR2 stuff around here.

She had a P4B 2.4 gigger with 512 MB dual channel ram and ATI Radeon 9000 AGP graphics and XP Pro, which suited her fine. I don't fool around much with mATX, but I thought someone here might have a recommendation.

TIA!

Asus is one of the biggest board makers in the industry, and they make a wide variety of boards from low to high level, suiting every budget. You might want to check them out. www.asus.com. Gigabyte is good, MSi makes some good boards, Biostar, just to name a few.

Also check out forums to see what people have to say about the mobos they own, and read about any issues they are having, if any. Checking user reviews is a must before buying anything. Be wary of some editorial reviews, as a lot of them are paid to hype products. Hard to tell the honest ones sometimes.

2 good site are anandtech, guru3d.com, and of course this forum. Look through the threads and see what people are using and saying. There are threads about motherboards amd and intell. Good luck and have fun. :)

Good choice. Foxconn makes good stuff. Travis (forum admin and test guru) Will tell you that. He has a foxconn video card that he really likes. Good company. You didn't specify any brand in particular, that's why I mentioned a few. Happy building!

the only mATX i ever used was Asus-vm-csm. i always thought it was an excellent board. nothing special but it was cheap and did what it was supposed to do very well. on board LAN, video and sound...all nice. the only problem is that it has PCI-E and i assume your radeon is AGP.

since i never had any problems with this board i can recomment it, but i dont have lots of comparison. the only thing really annoying is that when you buy an OEM version like i did you need a 2nd computer to download at least the LAN drivers before you can install the rest, since you wont have LAN that is recognised. rather annoying if you get internet over LAN

btw, its an AMD 939 board for DDR