Corsair XMS 3200XL(2x512) + NF4 Ultra-D

Guest Danzo_merged

Hello guys.

I searched and I did find a bunch of threads on this very topic but there are some stuff I'm still not quite clear on. And also lots of the stuff is a bit old.

1. Does it make any difference if you run in the both of the yellow slots of both of the orange slots? If so, which one is the best? I've got the impression that orange is better but I'm not really sure.

2. Are the settings found here http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showpost.p...848&postcount=3 the best for my memory or are there any newer that works better?

3. I still have the original bios, what difference would it make if I changed it to the most recent one? Should I change to the most recent or is there any other that work better? Also a link to a guide on how to change the bios would be nice.

Any other stuff that would be good to know?

Edit: thought of another thing, not really related to memories, but anyway: you now the molex-connector on the MB nere the memory slots, how far in is the molex supposed to go? I think I've pressed it on enough but I'm not sure and I don't wanna break my board, it's bending alot as it is already when I push with little force.

Hello,

1) No difference in terms of performance, some people find that by using the yellow slots it helps with overclocking. If you use the official BIOSes you must use the orange slots.

2) These are the settings that Angry found to be stable at default speeds, you do not have to use these. (check what version memory you have).

3) Virtually no difference, later BIOS supports new CPU cores and fixes a few issues such as the BIOS 125 memory voltage bug and USB device may cause POST to hang bug.

4) The molex connector, do you means the 24pin ATX or 4pin +12v P4 connector?

These should clip into place. If you feel that they wont fall out leave them alone.

Guest element

Yes the 4 pin must be in if you're thinking of using a video card that's PCI-E. Heck since it's there plug it in anyway.

I've got it plugged in,no worries. :P

I think I'll change my memory settings to those in Angry's guide and see what difference it makes, will be back with an update!

Edit: Ok, I'm back with an update:

I went into bios and changed all settings so that they would be just like in the guide, except for some where there wasn't an option, probably because he was using another bios version.

Anyway, tried booting but it didn't let me into windows, tried that twice. So I went back into bios, choose "load optimized settings" (back to old settings, all auto) and rebooted but this time I ran memtest, it was fine for about 19 minutes, and then suddenly 3 errors popped up, and a couple seconds after that another ~1100 errors. Btw, before I changed any settings I had the memory voltage to 3.0v and in the guide it was 2.8, so I changed it to that when changing all the other settings. After memtest had failed I tried booting into windows (XP), this time I got past the login screen but 2-3 seconds after that I got the famous BSoD, so went back to bios and changed memory voltage to 2.9v, and here I am now. Should I go back and rechange settings according to angry's guide but with a higher voltage this time? Should I run memtest with this voltage? How high voltage can my memories take? I don't want to ruin them, al though I think they've been running at like 3.0v for ~2 years now.

But with 2.8v I can't get into Windows, running 2.9v now and it seems fine. I just want to find out if my mems are doing this (BSoD's) or if it's my PSU, but so far it's leaning towards PSU being the problem.

Danzo,

If you can get your rig memtest stable with a single stick of RAM in the orange slot nearest the top of your board, you might consider using TMOD's BIOS Flash CD and flashing to the 0704-2bta BIOS.

I have a NF4 Ultra-D i've been running for almost two years now, and I tried every BIOS ever released both BETA, Modded and Official, and for me the best one was the 0704-2bta. It played the best with the widest range of CPU's and memory that I swapped on and off that board.

Then you can install your other stick of memory in the other orange slot, reboot and load optimized defaults and give it a spin. If necessary you may need to go in and tweak a few of the settings per Angry's post.

Remember to follow the proper BIOS flashing procedure. If you have any questions please ask.

Cheers.