Thinking about upgrading my computer.

WDPsellout

Current specs are in my sig. Around Christmas when the nvidia g90 series comes out in December, 8800gts prices are probably going to lower. I was thinking of grabbing an Opteron 175, 8800GTS, and buying 1 more gig of RAM.

The question is, I have 1 gig right now (512x2), would buying another gig in 512x2 affect my ability to OC as there would be 4 sticks of ram instead of 2 and probably vary a little in chips?

I don't know for sure, but i heard that the 9xxxx series won't be out until next spring. They are coming out with a gt card, with improved shaders, less power consumption, and a couple other improvements.

I think you're cutting it a bit close with the modstream. I had one and it has 28 amps on the 12v rail, just about what the 8800gts requires. You might be ok with that, maybe somebody who has that set-up will post their performance results for you. I upgraded my psu 3x for 3 builds.

As far as the ram goes, you remind me of me, i get something, then wish i'd gotten something else. You'd be better off getiing 2x2gb sticks than 4 sticks of ram, if your mobo accepts them.

Less stress on the memory controller, and you'd get better oc's.

Edit; I just checked on evga's s site for 8800gts power needs, and i was wrong. It only requires 26amps on the 12v rail. But personally i would still feel a little reluctant about using the modtrem520w (great psu) for your upgrades. I think the cpu uses the 12v rail, as most mobo's have the extra power connector near it. Asuming you're going to be overclocking your card and your cpu, it's going to need more juice. Your modstream might be able to handle it, but, just something to consider.

Gah, I didnt think about that. Looks like it will end up being buying 3/4 of a new rig..............

That's what happened to me my 2nd build. I bought a dfi nf2 250gb board, one of the best boards ever, but super sensitive about high quality components. I ended up upgrading my psu, ram twice, cpu twice, and it still had compatibility issues.

Now i like the rig i have everything is working in harmony. (live and learn). One thing i can say, check out forums for any products you buy and see what users are saying about them. Also, this forum covers a lot of components, and you can get a lot of input from people who have been there, done that.

Good luck and have fun!