About swapping X2s

Im about to swap my 3800+ for a 4200+ X2 (socket 939). From what Ive gathered, I should be able to go to device manager, uninstall cpu drivers, reboot to bios, load optimised defaults, shut down, swap cpu's, reboot into bios to see if cpu is recognised, boot to windows without reinstalling OS.

I shouldnt have to reinstall OS if I just upgrade to a speedier cpu right?

Correct, you don't have to reinstall OS. For me it worked fine switching to and dual core from a single core without reinstalling with XP SP2. You don't have to uninstall CPU drivers either. Just load optimized defaults, shut down and swap. I even switched CPU's (from a X2 4200+ to an Opteron 165) without loading optimized defaults, works fine as long as the other CPU can take the overclock (but remember, if you've got multiplier at auto, the 4200+ has a higher one so it won't like the overclock if the fsb is to high). Can I ask why you're changing from a 3800+ to a 4200+? They both have the same amount of cache (4400+ has 2x1mb though) and you will most likely not get much higher clocks out of it.

I dont overclock so should I even have to load optimised defaults then? At stock I should see a bit of a speed boost (or so Im thinking) and thats why Im swapping. Besides, the 4200+ was free and comes with a HSF that has neato looking cooling pipes. :D

true....

once you have a dual core already in it all you have to do is clear the cmos and swap chips....

if you go from a single core to dual core you just need to make sure windows installs the HAL on the 1st boot...if it doesnt you need to re-install the OS....I have swapped several duals for singles and everytime has been fine...

Most of the time troubles are reported has been on DFI boards...

Umm I had a minor issue when i switched from a 4200+ to an Fx-60 on a sli-dr I picked up on Craigs list. When the machine booted it just couldnt recognize the cpu but ran fine otherwise. I just had to flash the bios with t-mods cd. When i got my Current SLI-DR expert from AG i didnt even hafta flash it I just switched the parts over from the old SLI-dr. I made a couple minor performance tweaks for the ram etc but it was a pretty painless process.