New Rig

Guest r3d c0m3t_merged

Guest r3d c0m3t

As you can see from the recent update to my signature rig, it has come to it's untimely death, and I'm looking for a new rig. What I'm looking for is recommendations for an Intel board that supports Crossfire, has adequately spaced PCI-E slots, has the EPS/ATX connectors on the right side of the board, same as my previous (mainly because of the way my case is constructed), and something that has an atrocious amount of OC capability. Well, maybe not atrocious, excellent will do just fine. :sweat:

Thanks, in advance.

Guest r3d c0m3t

I've been considering the Maximus Formula for a while now, anyone have any experience with it, anything to watch out for?

I would highly recommend a visit to Asus forums and see what the people that own the board you want are saying about it. But it doesn't mean you will have the same problems, take what you read with a grain of salt.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest r3d c0m3t

I've got the hardest part of choosing new components out of the way, however, I'm now at the stage where I'm questioning what I'm about to purchase, what I'm about to buy is as follows: Core 2 Quad Q6600, ASUS Maximus Formula SE, OCZ Reaper HTC DDR2 800. Now here's where the questioning comes in - I know there's virtually no need for a quad core this year, save for a few multi-threaded applications (i.e [email protected]), but I'd rather be safeguarded than to buy it somewhere down the line when games begin to take advantage, or rather abuse at least dual cores. The only reason I'm questioning the Q6600 is really because I want to purchase a new case as I'm realizing the P180 is a bit too cramped for the components I have, or will be getting.

The CM Stacker 830 RS (case I've been wanting for a long time) is $219; $300-something with their 1000w PSU (which I'm really paying no attention to at the moment, but who knows) and I'm wondering if I should go for a different motherboard or CPU.

A suggestion, or two is needed and appreciated. :rolleyes:

I love my Quad and my P182, you won't be disappointed in any way shape or form. Although I wish my PSU was a modular one has its a bit hard to hide the cables from a 600w OCZ Powerstream.

I guess it would come down to which has the best cooling. My chipset runs at around +/- 40c which is ok but its a little too high for my liking, I have a small fan from an old Antec HSF but it still doesn't make a difference. All other temps are excellent.

My RAM is the thing that is impressing me the most though, running at 1066 and it just keeps ticking.