Sign in to follow this  
jelly

Ubuntu 7.10?

ok so

no-go on installing it on my main rig (E6600 + 8800GTS + 2GB + 2x80GB RAID)

It sees my 'softraid' disks as independent (already installed XP on a 40GB partition) and so of course I come wandering here (from within Ubuntu after it destroyed my windows RAID lol) looking for answers on softraid since if every motherboard mfg on the planet is offering it in the chipset/controllers, I've no doubt Linux devs understand what it is and why Windows users have it and use it (but you know, sometimes devs never come out from under their rock and live, eat, sleep, breathe Linux or Mac and it clouds their view of reality by not understanding what all of us not living under a rock are thinking). But when I found the page on how to make it work, I realized that there's no way I'm going through all of that:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto

No sir. I don't mind doing a bit of work like using the terminal from the LiveCD to apt-get some driver files and then maybe do a command line entry or two MAYBE two if it isn't 9,000 characters long and then have my Linux be able to understand my 2x80GB drives are in 'dual channel' softraid mode and there's an NTFS partition attached to the front of it so linux knows where to put GRUB or whatever the bootloader is.

A little work is not what I see in that link lol.

I got to find out from Culinist if ArchLinux (and/or all linux variants) treat these Windows softraid configs alike. But for now, got to wipe Ubuntu and start over with XP...as there's no way this E6600 + 8800GTS isn't going to be used to pure game (no firefox no anti-virus no nothing except drivers + games with every damned service possible turned off as it's ONLY for gaming...I want to stay in Linux for everything else)

FYI using Linux RAID is alot faster and more relaible than FAKERAID since most FAKERAID A.K.A integrated raid is really software raid.

Now a days, i just single boot since dualbooting windows and linux requires using fakeraid since that fu$%ing crap ruins the partition scheme so that you can't even use Linux Software Raid. so i either single boot windows and or linux now.

sucks windows doesn't have the ability to RAID itself on install.

that's sad.

FYI using Linux RAID is alot faster and more relaible than FAKERAID since most FAKERAID A.K.A integrated raid is really software raid.

lol Linux RAID = buying a $200+ hardware RAID card, something none of us are willing to do when we get 2x or more speed in Windows using softraid with a couple of hdd's by just installing a single (or two if a DFI NF4 lol) driver off a floppy at OS loading time.

It's sad that Linux is so complicated still when using softraid, something that Windows has made very easy and performs very very well (just look at our RAID thread in the Software section) and has been in use for more than a few years now (since NF2 for me).

Since I don't have a hardware RAID card and I'm not interested in doing 700,000 commands and edits and configs, I'll have to I guess hold off for another year or so on my main rig until they dumb that down for morons like me.

I'm in Ubuntu right now out in the garage (this rig only has a single 160GB IDE Maxtor drive) and I'm going to keep it out here since I spend 75% of my time on this machine anyway ;)

Why not just use the raid drives for windows and put in a single drive for linux? Just wondering because I have not tryed linux on my raid and sounds like I dont want to. lol

lol Linux RAID = buying a $200+ hardware RAID card, something none of us are willing to do when we get 2x or more speed in Windows using softraid with a couple of hdd's by just installing a single (or two if a DFI NF4 lol) driver off a floppy at OS loading time.

WRONG my friend :P

Linux RAID != Hardware RAID

Linux RAID is software RAID and it's an easy setup, I guess you are just gonna have to follow my guide and or wait until I make the script to automate the raid and lvm2 setup for you. btw in comparison Linux's Software RAID is superior to BIOS/FAKERAID it's alot faster and compatible with other systems. I really want to show people that RAID in linux is not really all that hard and it's very stable even with power outages.

Why not just use the raid drives for windows and put in a single drive for linux? Just wondering because I have not tryed linux on my raid and sounds like I dont want to. lol

you can create a separate ARRAY in bios for Linux to use but the performance different and compatibility with other systems is shot, this is the same with windows and FAKERAID. Having a separate drive for linux is your best bet but again you have the option of using FAKERAID in linux.

WRONG my friend :P

Linux RAID != Hardware RAID

Linux RAID is software RAID and it's an easy setup, I guess you are just gonna have to follow my guide and or wait until I make the script to automate the raid and lvm2 setup for you. btw in comparison Linux's Software RAID is superior to BIOS/FAKERAID it's alot faster and compatible with other systems. I really want to show people that RAID in linux is not really all that hard and it's very stable even with power outages.

you can create a separate ARRAY in bios for Linux to use but the performance different and compatibility with other systems is shot, this is the same with windows and FAKERAID. Having a separate drive for linux is your best bet but again you have the option of using FAKERAID in linux.

I'll wait for a script or something that is less involving in what I've seen written as instructions on how to do fakeraid are simply too much hassle.

I understand this is the way it is until people like you are wise enough to not only want people to use Linux (like I do!), but you realize that things still have to be simplified here and there to appeal to the masses.

I can build a test box with 3x36GB Raptor drives that will just run Linux and RAID but I can't run RAID in my Windows XP with Linux on my main box (the main reason I have RAID on my XP box is for game loading times + video editing/rendering, two very important things that don't have any kind of Linux equivalent (you can game and edit/render vids in Linux, but the process to get there is an uphill climb and still not guaranteed it will work properly because the software support just isn't there).

But I have heard others say that raid in linux is even better than in windows using the same onboard controller. It's just something that needs to be a bit easier to get happening lol. I can imagine the one or two drivers needed off a floppy in Windows is a big reason there's such a limitation on performance compared to Linux which looks like it is doing something deep and meaningful but that's also why it requires so much config and command line and blah blah blah.

ok time to get out of this thread as it is going off-topic with general linux and we'll try to keep if focused on Ubuntu 7.10.

I made a new diary in hopes of enticing others who are on the fence to start really seriously thinking about giving it a shot:

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81168

plus your thread stuck to the top is a wealth of information for more advanced users who actually understand wtf is going on Linux lol. We need guys like you and those in your thread to lead us the promised land in the same way we led Overclockers to the promised land.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

So I had a problem With the desktop that I was going to use for ubuntu. The motherboard died! So I installed ubuntu7.10 on my laptop. I am typing from it now but, and can say that It decreased my by boot time by 1/2! :cool: But I am having a big problem with installing my gpu drivers.

My setup is.

acer anspier 5100

Turion 64 x2 1.6ghz

1gig of ram " the integrated graphics take 128mb of that ram"

ATI radeon xpress 1100 integrated

100gig hard drive

So I have tried going Applications>Add/Remove>System Tools I clicked on ATI Binary X.Org driver And I get this message "Canonical Ltd. provides technical support and security updates for ATI binary X.Org driver

ATI binary X.Org driver cannot be installed on your computer type (amd64). Either the application requires special hardware features or the vendor decided to not support your computer type."

The funny part of this is I get that same message for anything I try to install from the add/remove!:mad: I am thing of just reinstall the OS but before I do that I would like to get some ideas from you. I just dont know how to install a driver for linux. I have tried this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=5...4&highlight=ati

And it did not work. I am for a loss.

here's a new problem culinist and I were trying to solve for Ubuntu for me last night: how to get Beryl/Compiz working?

I got the packages installed and when I type ccsm into the terminal it brings up the Compiz control panel, but I can't actually activate it and get it to work...?

After seeing the YouTube video on what Compiz/Beryl can do, I want it to work on my rig lol.

PS this is like day 5 in a row I boot to Ubuntu and just let it stay running all day!

ya this rig is using an X1900XT 512MB PCI-E card...checking the first link now

edit: first link provides zero help. I have the X1900 using the restricted ATI driver and 3d acceleration is already enabled, and I played a bit of Enemy Territory already, and getting ready to install original Soldier of Fortune with a Loki linux installer so the vid card isn't really a problem at the moment, it's Compiz...like I said, I got the control panel up and can make all kinds of changes to the options but I can't actually activate it to get it working...