Ubuntu 7.10?

jelly

I have a spare computer that I am going to install Ubuntu 7.10 on. I have never installed or used linux befor and thought I will give it a go. The computer that Im going to use it a AMD 3500+, asus a8v deluxe mobo, ati x800xt, and a 160gig ata 133 ultra hard drive. I have two options for my ram 2x 256 = 512, or I will have to pull 2gigs from my vista box. Will 512mb of ram be good or will I need more? At the moment I will use the setup as a test rig to see how I like Ubuntu, and see how well I learn it. If I get into it I would like to make the rig a file/printer sever. What do you guys think about the ram? What do you think about it for a file/printer sever? I would love to learn the whole linux thing so I can say bye bye to M$ and not have to pay $200 of an os. An input would help out alot!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have be looking around the I-net to find more info on installing Ubuntu 7.10 and then I found out that it just got released today. Sould I look at installing Ubuntu 7.04 or stick with my 7.10?

Thanks, jelly for starting this thread!

I've been pondering the same questions recently over the 7.10/7.03 issue, as I'm also ready to dive into Linux. I'm planning to use my Biostar mATX socket "A" rig, which has 1Gb of ram.

I'd like to make it into a music server eventually.

Im finding that Ubuntu 7.10 is the way to go if you never used linux. Easy to install, and all the software is right there to get you going. I was thinking of trying the sever flavor because MS home sever is just one more OS that I will have to buy. I am going to give VMware a try and see how well games play through that, if it works well I can drop windows as my primary OS. :) I think linux is going to be the next big thing in the computer world, aslong as it can get easer for people to use and have big companies like AMD, Intel, Nvidia, and Creative to have better driver support.

Stick with 7.10, it is a nice stable release that won't give you any problems. May want to read up on Linux/ATI card combinations though.

Yeah, I had some issues using the restricted driver that Ubuntu offered for my 9800 Pro such as lower glxgears speed (~4000 fps -> 1300), no compositing support (no Compiz :(), and it did not like me trying to remove it. I reinstalled everything and left the default open-source driver alone, and it seems to be running well so far. I haven't tried any real 3D apps yet, but Compiz runs really well on it.

I tried getting the latest driver from ATi's site, but it errors out when I go to build it.

As for running games in VMWare: if it's anything like the Windows version, don't bother. Give Wine a try, it doesn't seem to be too hard to set up and it runs stuff pretty well. My friend got Portal running in it at 45 fps at I think 1024x768, default settings, on a 7300 LE, and a co-worker uses it for WoW. He said it runs pretty fast at 1920x1200, high settings, on a 8600 GT.

and that was about the easiest install ever. Now for the ONLY problem I've ever had with Linux: enabling 3d acceleration on my X1900XT (or any video card lol).

I know how to install certain games like RTCW: Enemy Territory (free and has a loki installer for Linux). I just can never get them to run because I've never been able to get any Linux to actually accelerate in 3d...

I have this odd Edimax EW-7128G wireless PCI card in here in the garage and I thought after installing Ubuntu "HAH! It doesn't know what my card is!". Then I remembered (after putting the card's driver cd in because it has Linux (Debian) drivers) that I forgot my wireless router is locked down with MAC filtering + WEP 64-bit passkey. Since it's the same wireless card that I been running Windows on, the router knows it's the same MAC address, but since I'm now in Linux, I got to re-enter the WEP key.

Blammo, works like a champ.

Now I'm off to figure out how to get these ATI restricted 3d drivers or whatever installed. Ubuntu says something like "the software source for the package xorg-driver-fglrx is not enabled" and then closes...

well I got to tell you, this is exactly why Linux sucks and Windows is going to stay #1 for a long time.

I got it all installed no problem, but before I could even go for 3d acceleration, I had to spend a xxxxing hour just connecting to my windows xp file server.

Once i got connected, I double-clicked an mp3 and of course it wouldn't play, so I went off searching how to get mp3's to play and all the bull crap in the world about get packages and install some gstreamer ugly package but it wouldn't install because of conflicting software (on a default install mind you) but yet it won't tell you what software is conflicting, just to go to Synaptics Manager blah blah what a pile of butt.

I install windows, sound drivers, and either windows media player or winamp and blammo i got mp3's playing. I install video drivers and blammo I got 3d acceleration. I open Explorer and type server and blammo I see my 2 shared drives and map them as network drives.

Oh no, not in any goddamn linux distro. You got to jump through hoops lit with fire and rabid dogs on both sides to bite you as well as a pile of turds on top of an oil slick.

Can't someone just make a linux distro that EASILY allows these 3 basic things without jumping through hoops?

Now I have to totally re-install this pile of butt because somehow following all kinds of instructions JUST to get mp3's to play I've totally hosed ALL media players and NONE will install.

Awesome.

I love linux so much.

We'll be at war with Russia about 2 months after they do switch to linux because every normal russian will be so xxxxing pissed off at trying to play one damn mp3 they'll riot until Putin launches nukes at us (they'll make up a good reason don't worry but it will be because of linux lol).

Please google...MAKE AN OPERATING SYSTEM THAT IS EASY TO USE AND ISN'T MICROSOFT WINDOWS.