A8n-sli going as weird as i have ever seen...

I got my hands on a A8N-SLI.

Together with an Venice 3200, as well as the Infineon 1x512 mb and a Fortron BlueStorm 500w psu.

XFX 7600GT XXX 256mb

I wanted to see if it would work.

And since im posting you can guess..it doesnt, i get 1 long and two short biosbeeps.

So got another 939 board janked it all over and hopla booted up np.

So it aint the vidacrd one would conclude...

Checked the board again and saw the sli thingy is set on single card, so that aint it either...

im lost btw...any thoughts?

going for a long cmos clear this night btw.

uh huh... dont you mean 2x512 of ram...?

Whats does the manual say about beep codes..? you can look up the manual at the Asus site if you dont have it...

The ram is Patriot LLK ram and is Infineon IC's it will boot in *any* ddr rig...

I would probably bet the board is bunk...I would try clearing the cmos and try to boot it with a stick of ddr333 if you have some...sometimes that will awake a tired board...;)

also try booting with the "Insert" key held down and see if that works...

Stop it will all the technical talk already :D

Hahaha...If she does stop, How we gonna know how to help her?? :tooth:

Soundx98, everybody knows what a "thingy" is. It's universal language.

• 4 weeks later...

Or not, this time im trying to get the sli mobo working with a x2 3800+ dual core and 1 gig pc 4000 ocz gold ram, kit btw

problem 1; wont boot with both sticks of ram, k fine try with 1 then.

problem 2, whenever i try to install windows i get an irc_not enough_or _equal mssg, something like that. again points to the ram iirc?

fine...ill set the bios to default, take all the irq on disable jank my pci-e card on a "free" irq and go again...

works!

or not did an windows update and bang! back to nothing...not even save mode...

gonne try again tomorow with an fresh mind i guess...

You can pay a visit to Asus forum, I think there is a member has some good practical experience that might help you. The only reason i bought this asus board, is cuz i have experience with my 1st build with an asus board, (plus Travis recommended it to me) but boy, did they ever load up on the bios. More stuff in there than the nf3 250gb! Scary!

I wish you luck. Tackle it with a fresh mind, yes...wish i could help ya. You say you cleaned the sli "thingy"...what was in it? What did you clean it with?

I tend to agree with repr on the bad video adapter idea....so far.

The A8N-Sli is a pos imho. That is the motherboard I had before I got my Expert, and I had nothing but problems with it. If I tried to boot from a cold boot I got the memory beep code, if I uplugged the pc the bios reset itself, the system randomly rebooted, Asus tech support never once responded to any of my technical inquiries. So I returned it and have been happy ever since.

got an update

im able to actually boot with 2 sticks of ram ozx gold pc 4000 into windows and ran 3d mark 2001, got 1887.

although i have the sticks at single channel now, the memtest ran without errors.

so im guessing im gonne try for the dual channel and see what happens:)

hmm didnt go, back to single channel and that works, i have updated the bios to a beta version, wich im thinking might be better if i roll it back to the latest "normal" version...cause i really want it to go dual channel...

again update:

im going for the the normal bios to see what that does, and for the single channel option since im thinking its a compatibility issue with the mobo between the ram and the mobo.

and obviously if it aint broken dont fix it...

the windows updates went k so ill be finishing up the system and post some benches:)