Sign in to follow this  
pkilway

Ebay Etiquette

6 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Ok, recently sold something on Ebay.

I sold three tickets for an Amusement Park admission on a specific date, which was clearly listed in the Ebay posting. So these are time sensitive - I needed to sell them and get them to the bidder before the date of the ticket.

Had one bidder, the winner, but 4-6 others that emailed me asking questions about the tickets (so there was soem interest).

Ebay auction closed. I immediately emailed the winner to notify them that they won and ask for payment so I could overnight the tickets to them ASAP.

Now, I just got a reply from the winner saying she pruchased them by mistake. She thought the tickets I was selling was for a different day and would I mind if she backs out.

I know DIY, Anandtech and other forums have very specific etiquette about transactions on their forums. But what's the Ebay Etiquette? Should I make this person pay? I can't sell the tickets now, there's no way to get a new Auction listed and get these tickets sold and to the new winner before the date of the tickets.

Any and all advice appreciated.

see if you can sell them to any of the people that were asking questions or second chance but remind her that she entered into a legal binding agreement and that her pulling out will cost you money and if you cannot get the price she paid thar she should make up any shortfall and at the very least report her as a non paying bidder that way you wont have to pay the auction fees on the sale.

Agreed,

Not your fault that the auction was not read properly, at least report it to ebay so you don't have to pay fees.

I would also contact those who asked questions, see if they have interest in them still. I would say that you could offer them at up to 10% less than the winning bid (depending on how much of a hit that is) just so you are not stuck with them and out the entire sum.

see if you can sell them to any of the people that were asking questions or second chance but remind her that she entered into a legal binding agreement and that her pulling out will cost you money and if you cannot get the price she paid thar she should make up any shortfall and at the very least report her as a non paying bidder that way you wont have to pay the auction fees on the sale.

exactly what I would say

No need to lower the price unless you can't sell them. If you can't then make her pay for them - ignorance of the law is no defence. I might be less harsh if the goods weren't time sensitive but stupidity has potentially cost you money and someone else some fun.

depending on how much time you got left id first mail the other interested people. but if that doesnt work out you have shown good will and did your best, but in the end she messed up. so yea, id still ask for payment

Show me the money!!!

I would ask for full payment... no doubt about it.

I agree, then if whe won't pay, contact the other interested party AND contact eBay so you aren't out the fees. eBay etiquette means you read the auction before you bid, if you bid you pay. Then it is feedback time, no matter what happens.