To dual core or not.

dshoffman

Its been a while since I have been here and even longer since I looked at all the hardware out there.

I am looking to get some additional life out of my system.

I have a NF4 Ultra-D (DFI Lanparty) 939 socket motherboard.

I use the machine mostly for gaming and general usage.

I want to get the best results for gaming.

I currently have a Athlon 64 3200, 1GB OCZ RAM, 500GB SATA 3, and will be going to Vista Ultimate after getting a new CPU.

I appreciate any feedback given.

Thanks!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly recommend getting a dual core processor. If you can get your hands on a Athlon64 FX-60 processor, definitely get it. It's a dual core chip running at 2.6GHz with 2 x 1MB L2 cache and an unlocked multiplier. It's the fastest chip for Socket 939. Unfortunately, you will only find those on Ebay. If there's any left, get one while they got them.

If you don't want to go that route, NewEgg has some dual core chips. Have a look at them and pick the one that's best for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....&name=Dual-Core

I also recommend upgrading your RAM to 2GB. Believe me, if you going to use Windows Vista, you will need it.

fx60's are just clocked higher at stock and have an unlocked multiplier....honestly I don't think it would be worth buying one as they are probably still expensive as hell and could get something better for cheaper. Get an Opty or Athlon X2 and OC it.

Edit: Although you might as well upgrade your whole system if you are going to buy new ram too. ddr2 is much cheaper than ddr1 right now and will almost offset the price of a new mobo...

Wow! I didn't realize how expensive the FX-60's are. In that case, go for the next best processor.

NewEgg just got the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ chip in stock today. I just order one. It's a dual core chip running at 2.4GHz with 2 x 1MB L2 cache. But the multiplier is locked. This is the 2nd fastest processor for Socket 939. These chips are scarce. It's a surprise that NewEgg ordered some more.:eek: And yes, they are affordable. But don't count on NewEgg to have these processors hanging around for a while. Get your hands on one before they're gone forever!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103540

I would go for an opty 180. You can get one at newegg for $169.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103582

its 2.4ghz and it will overclock nice if you are into that. If you are not into overclocking I would go for the opty 185 as this is the fastest 939 chip out there. But it will cost more " $229.00"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103002

If you are looking for memory I would look in the for sale/trade section here. Look for stuff that has a lifetime warranty.

Yeah, I'm with Raider on this one. You CAN upgrade your current setup with a new CPU and RAM but why? Hell, you can get a 4300 for $135, 2 gigs of DDR2 for $70 and a mobo for $130 VS. $229 for a 185 and $130 for 2 gigs of DDR

New Hotness = $335

Old N Busted = $359 (and you're still slow compared to a c2d setup)

Buy this stuff used and you're even better!

Sure a C2D system would be nice.....but there is nothing wrong with keeping your system. Since you are upgrading to Vista....one more gig of ram is a must. I would get the cheapest X2 you can find and add another gig of memory. I would not go and spend a lot of money on an 939 even though they still run good.

Yeah thats the main reason I suggested upgrading. Just for the fact that he needs more ram and ddr2 is much cheaper than ddr1. If he already had a 2x1gb set of ram then upgrading to a 939 dual core would be a great idea.

I agree. I don't think he has any intentions of overclocking. That's why I recommended him the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ in my last post. It's a fast processor for Windows Vista and it only cost $120.00 on NewEgg.

Sure a C2D system would be nice.....but there is nothing wrong with keeping your system. Since you are upgrading to Vista....one more gig of ram is a must. I would get the cheapest X2 you can find and add another gig of memory.

I'm not so sure about that Raiderfan. It seems that he can get 2GB DDR1 RAM relatively cheap. I have this 2GB kit that I will recommend as well. When I bought this kit, I paid twice as much.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227210

Overall, it seems cheaper to upgrade the CPU and RAM vice buying a new motherboard, new CPU and new RAM. If he was to follow my recommendations, he will spend a total of $250.00 to upgrade his system to run Windows Vista. To me, that's pretty cheap.

Yeah thats the main reason I suggested upgrading. Just for the fact that he needs more ram and ddr2 is much cheaper than ddr1. If he already had a 2x1gb set of ram then upgrading to a 939 dual core would be a great idea.