Stopped Smoking on my Birthday

red930

Happy birthday Ace!

Don't give up on the quitting!

I've been trying for about a year now, actually got to 2 weeks once, then "rationalized" myself back into it! I can vouch for the first few days being the hardest, but the physical side does go away after about 3-4 days.

I find the patch useful, it helped me through 1 1/2 months in the hospital 3 years ago. (Yeah, went right back to it when I became "mobile"!)

I think I could do it if I was able to keep busy - sitting at the rig, reading, watching TV is my "downfall"! I'm disabled and have too much time on my hands!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smoking in the home - not good. I forced myself to never smoke at home, no ashtrays, no lighters, no smell or stains. Makes things easier and after a while you get the shame of polluting your family if you do fall by the wayside. I still get cravings for those little sticks but only when I've had a few drinks and the mates are lighting up. The smell and taste brings it all back - thank goodness they banned smoking in pubs over here.

The smell and taste brings it all back ...

I don't know about everyone else, but those are the reason I'll never pick em back up. My mom smokes and when I go over to her house I can taste it in the air and when I leave I feel like a "fag" cause my clothing is saturated. Maybe the feeling is closer to a "butt" than a "fag"... :rolleyes:icon12.gif

Whatever you do, don't try using the patch or any of that other crap... The only real way to quit is cold turkey. My mother tried getting hypnotised ance, and I will say that it worked for a few weeks, better than most of that stuff, but who knows...

sorry to pull you up on this one, but its all about the destination not the journey

The journey IS the destination. Think about it.

yeah i get what you mean but all i'm saying is get there by ANY means patches, gum, hypnotizim, someone holding a effn gun to your head its all about the result not how you got there and the result is to be a nonsmoker for the rest of your life.

I gave up a year ago and have become the worlds worst reformed smoker and you know what, I don't care cause i've seen the light, ciggys are a crap, evil, foul instument of the goverment, why wont the ban them..? it's killing the population faster than anything else there is, but for them to have a cash cow that people are addicted to thats why. In australia a packet of smokes cost around 13 dollars only 2 dollars is for the tobacco companys 11 dollars goes to the goverment, there laughing there heads off and they pretent to put in place mesures that will cut down smoking but guess what they don't want the population to stop it would mean billions in lost revenue and a population that would increasingly be getting older and be a bigger burden on the infrastructure.......so give em up and you also get to stick your finger up at the man..

there my rant is over............

All the gum, patches, etc I tried only made the withdrawals worse.

I'm quitting cold turkey and without any assistance from any medication.

What really sucks are the body shivers I experience 2 to 3 times a day.

My section manager at work started to get worried about me when he walked into the QC area and found me shivering uncontrollably at my desk.

All the veins on my neck, arms and hands were bulging out.

My arms looked like I had a replication of the Los Angeles freeways going up and down them.

Sucks to have the metabolism I do. :(

Yeah, I know but the symptoms I have been experiencing will last much longer than the average 3 weeks that "normal" people experience.

You see, I was born from a mother who was a promiscuous woman; addicted to sugary products (sodas, candy, among other things) which made her physically hyperactive and susceptible to various substances. That trait has been passed on to me in a genetic form.

The after effects of quitting smoking will probably last about 3 months; from my research which takes into account my physical make-up.

I am well prepared for this as I have been for many months. I am committed both physically and mentally for this despite losing a kidney and my gall bladder from previous actions.

My heart, body and soul is set upon quitting smoking.

I set my Marine heart upon this endeavor.

I know the gains will be fruitful.

That's the spirit Ace, See how poisenous cigs are? Also take into consideration all the chemicals they add to tobacco. It's not supposed to keep burning. When you light up pure tobacco, it goes right out. Cig companies put chemicals in it so it keeps burning, so you can smoke a whole cig w/o having to re-light it. I read a while ago that they put lots of different chemicals in cig tobbaco.

Also there were articles in major newspapers across the country that the toabacco companies were putting more nicotene in cigs to keep people addicted longer. That's is freakin' pure evil.

And Ace, I was born with an addictive nature also. I can get addicted to anything that makes me happy or feel good. And was. I try not to give advice, but instead just share my experience, but you might find it easier if you free yourself of that "3 month" mindset.

Seriosly, it only takes a few days for nicotene to exit your body, Maybe a week at the most. Drink a lot of spring water to flush your system of toxins. I would say a week in extreme cases. I started smoking when i was 9 years old, and by 1990, i was smoking around 3 packs a day when i was drinking. 2 when not actively drunk. Plus a was a chronic pot smoker. I had a collapsed lung. It took them an hour to get me on the strecher the pain was so bad.

But after i recovered from that, i started up again. It wasn't until after a couple yours clean and sober could i tackle stopping smoking. I felt nuerotic for quite a while, so i know how you feel. But after a little time went by, I just can't describe the feeling of freedom from them dam things.

Just remember you have friends (even if we never actually met) that care about you and we are with you in mind and spirit, and are rooting for you. A lot of us have been through addiction, and understand your journey. The rewards you are going to find for your hard work will change your life forever. And for the better.

Go outside, walk in forests or parks. Get a lot of fresh air in them lungs! Heal them babies. Every breath of fresh air you take says FU to the addiction of smoking.