Stopped Smoking on my Birthday

red930

Yep, you all heard that right. I stopped smoking on Saturday, October 13th.

It's been a b****.

I have a very fast metabolism and to compound the situation even further I'm more susceptible at being addicted to anything to maintain physical and mental acceleration I have lived for the past 20+ years; hence, which is why I smoked cigs. They gave me a form of relaxation which seemed to calm the inner

Right now I'm shaking my butt off. It's a struggle to keep from misspelling my current thoughts or losing control and venting all frustrations in an inappropriate manner.

My hands arms, hands and neck have the veins bulging out from the stress my body is feeling.

I've wanted to run to the store and pick-up a pack of smokes so many times tonight its pathetic. Damn near did 40 minutes ago.

It's been commonly said that smoking is a mental condition. For me, that is not true.

Help. Please help. This sucks.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too quit smoking on my birthday, my 20th to be exact. It was August 2 2000, and it was the day I also quit drugs, alcohol and the things I did that could put one in jail. I was able to stay off the cig for good till I got sick of smelling the smoke if I smelled it today. All those things put me apart in a very great distance from my immediate family and the only one that stuck out for me is my mother, no matter what I did, she always waited up for me whenever I went out. The last draw that woke me up was that instance where I picked up a coffee table above my head and slammed it on the concrete floor, busting it apart. That was a week before my 20th birthday. I had nightmares and sleepless nights but I was able to stay sober for good, I only returned to consuming alcohol after more than 2 years and never touched a smoke ever since.

So, I applaud you for your effort Ace, just put it in your mind that you dont need the thing anymore.

AJ

I stopped on my B-day over 2 yrs ago (Aug of 2005) My wife quit too.

What helped me the most was using Nic patch, two weeks on 21 mg, 10 days 14mg, 10 days 7 mg (F ing stuff cost's more than smokes, online or Target was the cheapest)

The patch helped take the edge off & helped me from killing anyone.

Hang in there:)

I smoked two packs per day for over 20yr

I'm glad I quit!

Now I'm about 30lb heavier and have high blood pressure "WTF" But I feel better, more energy, more breath, I'm like a new man.

hey ace, as i have never smoked or become addicted to anything, i can not possibly understand how you are feeling now. but think about how vibrant things will taste and smell, how you will ultimately feel better at not only conquering something that so many have failed at doing, but how you wont wheeze after a 20ft dash. :drool:

not only that, but you should stop getting annoying calls from road construction people things that want you to run up and down a work site coughing up tar from your lungs for their roads :tooth:. J/K.

but anyway, keep it up, you have a HUGE support group here and we are all rooting for you! :rolleyes:

I quit smoking about 2years ago. The first week is the hard part, but after that it get easy. Just remember the urge will go away, and when you get it just get your mind busy with somthing. Stuff like video games, yard work, or cleanning. Dont drink caffine or alcohol as it make the urge stronger. Try tea "caffine free" it will help to soothe you! And if you slip up just start over! YOU CAN DO IT! :)

Guest culinist

I'm on day 21 cig free. Thanks to the Chantix. This little blue pill really works.

Ace, it's worth it to try it out. Makes it so much easier to cope. I was a two pack a day smoker for almost 20 years, tried to quit a few times cold turkey and didn't last but a few days. Five days after starting on the Chantix I quit. It's a little spendy but well worth it.

Any way you go, good luck. You can do it.

Struggle through it bro, it's purely a mind over matter deal that requires you to understand that quitting anything you have done for 20+ years is tough. It just takes time for things to seem right again.

I know what you are going through, never gave up smoking, but I gave up a 12 year I.V drug habit cold turkey 8 years ago. Talk about the shakes, spent 3 nights in the hospital and a little bit of time in the loon ward over that ordeal.

i've been off the fags for just over a year after 20-40a day habit, the one thing that kept me going is what someone said to me it really stuck -smokers smoke to feel like a non smoker, it's true you have a craving then smoke to feel normal just like a non smoker '

do patches, do gum, do hypnotizum(and spelling lessons)do whatever it xxxxEN takes cause in a month you'll be like WTF a ciggy get xxxxed they suck.

also just remember on you 90th birthday you can take them back up again

wow it edits my swear words out how effn clever

icon_banana.gificon_yeah.gificon_clap.gificon_rox.gifcloud.gifcheerleader2.gifheadbang.gif2wrok82.gifcaesarsm.gifav-71.gifclap.gifgroupwave.gifthumbsup.gifhappy14.gifgoodjob.gifbuttrock.gifclap.gificon_bananarock.gif

I quit in late 2000 myself after roughly 15 years, mainly to tighten the finacial belt. I found they really tasted nasty and I think that is why I have never really looked back. I found myself at the bar 2 or 3 times later where I smoked a few and luckily they tasted just as bad drunk as sober. I couldn't tell you the last time I smoked a cig... sometime in 2001.

We're all here for you man! grouphug.gif If you hear a little voice trying to talk you into going to the store for a pack, tell it to...

icon_plzdie.gif It be much easier to icon_pain.gif... Once that voice dies, you'll feel like... size.jpg

Your all my hero's and I F***ing mean that, I'm still in the denial stage when I say I still love a good smoke, after meals is a killer time for me. Even thinking about stopping makes me smoke more. The little monkey is on my back and he's pissed.

I've no experience what so ever, since I've never been addicted to anything but healthy stuff (even though being personally supporting a lot of folks getting off addictions). But I admire what you do, and what others already done.

You're fighting for a good cause! Keep on doing it!

I have had serious fun with nearly every drug I could get my hands on from pot right up to heroin and I can honestly say I enjoyed them all and never got arrested or done anything illegal to get them (except buy them of course...lol), but the most pointless and most deadly I get in the corner store for 4 bucks a pop and I guarantee those are the nails in my coffin.

All said and done though "each to his own" but if you don't drink or take drugs and you live a completely healthy lifestyle your still gonna die at roughly the same time, between 60 or 70. You could live in the countryside and smoke and still have cleaner lungs than if you were to live in an inner city.

And if you do make it past 70 then you should enjoy Florida as much as you can :D