Sign in to follow this  
Guest Blooz1_merged

A Million Songs On One HD?

lol I've probably got 250GB broken up into 40+ old hdd's laying in a crate that range from a Connors 50MB to an old 3x 5.25" bay SCSI 1GB. All too small to even hold windows xp, probably half barely able to get 98SE on it with all updates and have 100MB to spare if even that. My brother bought my my very first 500GB 16MB cache drive before we moved. Previous to that, I had owned only 2x 250GB drives for testing RAID and then almost all 80GB hitachi SATA and SATA II.

amazing that my server has about 800GB of storage and it still really isn't enough (I've got probably 100+ dvd+r's full of just data and junk and music and videos). The hdd is still the slowest part of the machine, but soon we'll be using SSHD (solid state hard drives...basically a couple of tens of GB's of very fast flash memory on a hopefully PCI-E 16x bus or greater instead of the UDMA-100/133 limitations it has right now). Imagine having a couple of 80GB sshd's in a couple of rigs networked wired or wirelessly throughout the house and you could call up anything at any time no matter the size...

ridiculous. unecessary. but it's evolution of sorts, and we are all destined to it just like we are all destined to Vista unless we have a mini-revolution like Russia did and think it's wise to standardize open-source software (it's just better, and if everyone learns it like we learned windows growing up on computers, it won't be new or difficult anymore, just like windows became easy after some time and now you are here helping others with their problems that almost always involve windows haha)

man o man i could use one of them there things. i have so many DVD's (a bunch on their last leg) that i could archive uncompressed... and then there are those who will use it to download all of the worlds pr0n. if things keep going like this i will be able to archive the internet :tooth:

Yes. I've went well over 2 tB in my archive of HD material. 1 movie = 20 gigs!

If half of this stuff would even get released on HDDVD/bluray instead of just being aired in high def and never officially released I wouldn't have to waste so much HD space on it. But DRM and HDCP make me sick, so I'd probably just record OTA broadcasts for myself anyway.

Even if I didn't need it, I would need it. Technological progress is a necessity to civilization.

Hitachi announces new technology that will allow 4 Tb HD's in the near future:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7044606.stm

So, do you really need that kind of space?

I didn't think I'd ever need 120 GB three years ago. Then I never thought I'd need 1 TB. Now I have an 80 GB, and two 500 GB. I can't download anymore, so I'm not running out of space fast, but I have filled both drives about halfway. Give me four TB and I'll find something to do with it. :tooth: