Sign in to follow this  
dr_bowtie

When you know things go too far...

Here is a little artical I found about music playing in the work place...

In some places this seems to be illegal and a copyright infringement if others can hear the music...

This all seems to be way out of hand and getting out of control...Copyright infringement for listening/playing the radio....?

If it is broadcasted over the airwaves I dont see how you can be charged for infringment if you play it...?

I dont get it....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotlan...ast/7029892.stm

Why didn't the RIAA think of this first :confused:

What will they come up with next?

Listening to the radio shouldn't be subject to copyright infringement.

They're not talking about radio broadcasts, it's a language thing. They're talking about the employees playing their MP3/CD players at work. It's still ridiculous... that's like saying it's copyright infringement to play a CD in your car when your friends are riding with you. So every time I played a CD on the radio at work, I, and according to the article, the restaurant I worked for were breaking copyright law?

It would be different if it were in a store front where any customer can come in, but in a garage?

Common sense better kick in some time in court over there... so far they refused to throw the case out... I wish I wasn't going to boot camp so I could keep up with this. I'd like to see where it goes!

Personally I think it's a big bunch of BS....

wether it be the radio or a CD or a MP3 or what ever...if it's legal for you to have it...it shouldnt be illegal for you to play it where others can hear it...

So basically any business has to have a licence to play music during business hours...?

So you'd have to have one for "elevator music"....

personally when I work I crank up the radio or MP3 player and rock out...I know others can hear it but it's no different if they have their own radio...just only a few more feet in between...

What is this world comming to....nothing but Air and Fear....

I don't even know how to respond to this because it is just completely idiotic. If someone came in to my shop with that crap I would at the very least knock his teeth out. Might as well go to court for something worthwhile.

Guest Blooz1

Bear in mind, guys, that the article is about the UK - different laws.

Check out the site I linked to. The different situations that this society sells licenses for is pretty amazing!

I don't even know how to respond to this because it is just completely idiotic. If someone came in to my shop with that crap I would at the very least knock his teeth out. Might as well go to court for something worthwhile.

Death came to mind... or a severe encounter with a baseball bat.

... and that's coming from Mr. Highminded doctorate man.

I would have to agree that there are some people that just need to be killed. Didn't want to say anything just in case a body happens to show up near me.. :)