2900 pro = awesome, great o/c and only 600w ps

miamisc2

i picked up a saphire 2900 pro the second i saw it and i am extremely impressed. temps ARE THE SAME as my old x1950 pro (40c-60c), and best of all, it overclocks RIDICULOUSLY even on my rosewill 600w power supply (keep them comin'). i had my core up to 850's but the room was a bit hot and i had to bring it down a little, today it's much cooler out so i'll try to get a 3dmark06 run with 850 core. i would see fragments when the memory was at 1200mhz (x2), but 1100 is very stable. this is all of course up from the stock 600/800 to 820/1100 right now.

i am using the latest ati tool beta to set the overclock when windows starts up as well as the fan speeds, must say it works great! some people have talked about flashing to the xt bios, but apparently, this will result in lower performance due to memory timings. i would be really curious to see what these cards could do with maybe a tweaked bios and a little voltage increase. also waiting on the new 7.10 drivers which supposedly will increase performance dramatically.

anyway, only mods i made to the card was change the paste to mx-2 and have a 80mm fan ducted to the card as well, although i doubt it makes much of a difference with the blower of a fan that's already in there.

it was $264 from newegg. looks like they upped the price and it's back in stock now.

let me also add that for some reason i can't get the clocks up as high as they were before. today i realized i installed the wrong 80mm fan by accident, so i swapped it and all of a sudden the card would error after 10 seconds of gameplay or so. i tried messing with pci-e frequencies, upping the voltages through ati tool, turning up the fan speed to 100% and even installed a ducted 92mm tornado blowing into that bastard... nothing.

so now my clocks are stable at 750/1000 from 820/1100. oh well, still a little better than an xt. is it possible that after too many fragments or errors or whatever that the gpu core or ram could yield crappier clocks? if so that's what i get for rushing and trying everythign possible to get 900/1200 =(.

wonder how those 2950's are gonna do with the 256 bit memory interface and the 8800gt time will tell.

Yeah, these things are badass. I got 18K in 3dmark05 and 11.5K in 06. UT3 runs at 1600x1200 max settings 60FPS+ all the time.

Guest MadDias

ordered myself two of those sapphire hd2900pro´s with 512mb to replace my old x1800xt´s. 239euro each at www.alternate.de

i know that they will seriously be bottlenecked by my tiny lil opty.

but f**k that... i want cf and i want dx10 ;)

those cards are cheaper than the x1800 configuration i bought last year.

i´m thinking about flashing them to xt´s because of the higher stock clocks. overclocking them in cf is a pita. maybe i´ll just have to wait for a newer atitool that will also work under vista.

Guest MadDias

just installed my new hd2900pro´s...

here´s a 3dmark run at stock gfx clocks in crossfire:

ORB compare-link

a clean winxp install raised my cpu score from 2165 to 2326... nice ;)

with a single card my score is a little lower (8860) than my old x1800crossfire highscore.

now it´s time to checkout some dx10 stuff... going to boot vista now