transfering large amounts of files

julioTRX450R

hi all. i need some help.

i have my desktop computer which is hooked up to a wireless router which is hooked up to the cable modem and then to the TV cable.

and i have a wireless SONY laptop with Vista. i have a 20gb partition on my 200gb hard drive which is used for My Music and My Docs and My Pics. so i have the desktop setup to save everything in those folders to the partition that i set aside for that. the other 168gb partition has XP on it and the games.

anyways. i wanna transfer files from the desktop to the laptop. i have 2 ethernet cables which are hooked up but i have tried to look up how to setup home networks. im not good at this. i just know how to build computers. the laptop does not have a COM cable either. just ethernet, modem, and USB and VGA

i dont have a dvd burner either on the desktop and i dont have many cds.

i would just like to know if theres a simple way to hook them up and transfer the 20gb partiont stuff to the other.

not to sure about vista but it should be the same as xp you will need a cross over cable rather than a traight ethernet cable it's wired slightly different.

are both computers on the wireless network you mentioned if they are just use the network wizard in xp and i presume vista hasd it as well

i have the laptop connected now to the router via ethernet cable and have set the C drives on the computers for sharing. i still cant find or make a network between the computers or w/e to transfer stuff. i thougt the other computers C drive would show up on the other so i could just drag and drop fiiles.

you need to run the network set up wizard in control panel you can also do it using you xp installation disc when you load the cd under addional tasks it has set up home or small office network you need to run that in both machines

This is why having an external hdd is nice. I'd highly recommend getting one and not even bother with transfering the files over a network. But I also use external hdd's for more than just transfering files from one computer to another so they are worth it to me.

i got that working. i started the Windows Easy Transfer and had both hooked up to the network. so i left the computer since i saw it was going really slowly.

2 hours later it hadnt progressed from about 25% and i left the computer for a while more. still didnt progress so i cancelled.

i think its time to get a dvd burner off newegg.com

theres a nice LiteOn sata dvd +-R 18X or 16X Lightscribe for 34.95

This is a lot easier than you guys are making it.

1 Connect both computers to your switch/router as radodrill suggested

2 Check your routers GUI to see if both machines pulled an IP address automatically

3Through command prompt type "ping computername" and use your computer's host name where computername is, if you get a good ping, then great, if not then you could have one of several issues

4on the computer you want to pull the files from, navigate to-My Computer>tools>folder options>view>and uncheck "use simple file and folder sharing", if its Vista you would go to control panel>folder options>view>uncheck "use file sharing wizzard"

Now you can navigate to that computer through administrative folders by using the drive letter $ method. So you would open up a windows explorer window and put "computernamec$foldername" into the address bar of windows explorer.

**Please note that this is a quick solution that does not use or address file permissions, if you wanted to set this up long term I would create a share from the folder or drive that you want, and set up permissions for that folder instead of using the drive$ method**

moving large files = external hard drive.

they are really not that expensive. And a single drive will hold many more GB than you can burn on a DVD. And will move the data quicker than you can burn it.

Or you can set up a decent home network and do some file sharing like krazypoloc said.

In my case, I ended up setting up my first home network so my old roomie and I could play Red Alert head to head.

:)