Upcoming games in 2007...

rainwood

I chose the option that all features of the game will be installed on the local drive during installation, and the game uses 6.04GB hard drive space. But it still asks me to insert the DVD to play. Why? What else on the DVD?

Um....duh?

Name a new game that doesn't ask for the disc to be inserted. With the exception of Steam games of course, and any games with .iso files ripped onto your hard disk. And those that may have had No-CD hacks installed.

Bet it's a pretty small number.

In any case, I'm installing Jericho at the moment, will report back with thoughts on it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm cant wait for Jericho :) looks very interesting!!! graphic looks awesome...

but i need to pick up my Crysis tomorrow :P

as well, i got Gears of War for PC free when i bought my C2Q, and it looks AMAZING! its fun, beautiful, fast-pace, and fun. oh, and beautiful. runs silky smooth on my rig. nice.

now to crunch on crysis! cant wait till tomorrow :)

...and i still have LOTRO to play too :( *no life*

hmm cant wait for Jericho :) looks very interesting!!! graphic looks awesome...

It's alright. Haven't stopped playing it yet anyways.

It's extraordinarily annoying to wait for the text when loading each level though, since it takes about 4 seconds to load the level itself and around a minute for all the text to appear. I'm pretty sure I'm missing out on a lot of semi-important backstory.

Completed my first and last iteration of the “TimeShift”.

I was disappointed in the last battle in the game very much – I did not even think that the battle was the last one and I said, you are kidding me, when the ending movie started… I uninstalled the game from my hard drive.

Since I’d hold off playing the “Crysis” until I figure out how to optimize performance, so I installed the “BlackSite: Area 51” and “Soldier of Fortune: Payback”.

Played the two games for 30 minutes each, I decided to finish the “BlaacSite” first (BTW, I can’t turn on the AA option in the graphic options menu. Does someone having the same issue?).

Name a new game that doesn't ask for the disc to be inserted.

Bet it's a pretty small number.

…none of my purchased games, except the games downloaded from steam and the unreal tournament series…

with 2x 8800GTX cards you really don't have to worry about 'optimizing' crysis for your rig...it's about as optimal as you are ever going to get it lol
Graphics of the game with all graphics options set very high is just awesome, though it is not playable. I really want to play the game with as higher graphics setting as my box can support… Thanks to Voltes-5’s post, I will download the benchmark program and spend some time in testing to find the best settings for my box…

BlackSite: Area 51

When I started the game tonight, I noticed that the options I set when I did my test run last night were not saved. Then, I set the options and restart the game to see if the game saves these options. No. The game is not able to save the options. O.K., I uninstalled and re-installed the game – the game can’t save the options…

I checked the game’s site and saw the patch 1.1 is available. I started dowinloading the patch. I went to the publisher’s site to see support info., and I found the patch 1.2 released but it is not on the public server to download because “Due to Midway's desire to comply with regional regulatory requirements”.

Also I found the “special” steps required to install the game on Win Vista…

"Installing Area 51 on Windows Vista™

Follow the steps below to install Area 51 on Windows Vista™:

1. Make sure that you are logged on with an Administrator Account.
  2. Insert Disk 1 into your optical drive and cancel the installation if it autoruns.
  3. Click on the Start Button and type "cmd" into the search field and press Enter. This will bring up the Command Prompt.
  4. Type the letter of the optical drive, where Disk 1 is inserted into, followed by a colon and press Enter. A new prompt will appear with drive letter.
  5. Type in the following command: msiexec /i "Area 51®.msi" /qb and press Enter. Install the game.
  6. After the installation, download the copy protection driver update from the following link: http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvup.zip
  7. After the file has been downloaded, right-click on the Area 51 shortcut and select "Run As Administrator". Install the protection drivers when prompted but do not reboot.
  8. Double click on the sfdrvup.zip to open it. Double click on sfdvup.exe to run the update. Reboot when prompted.

You can now play the game.

If you require further assistance please contact Midway's Customer Support Staff by using the Ask A Question feature.”

…I will perform installation again...

BlackSite: Area 51

Applied the patch 1.1. The game still does not save the graphic options.

Finished the first stage (“Iraq”) and driving in the “Nevada” stage in hard level. Good graphics, though the AA option can’t be turned on yet…

My (negative) comments on this game, so far:

No quick save available:

The game does not allow quick save. The game is saved when the player gets to the check point, which means the player has to repeat the same things from the begging of the previous check point if the player makes a stupid mistake that kills the play even though the player is about to get to the next check point...

The poor set of the weapons:

So far, I hand a chance of using the assault rifle, scatter gun, advanced sniper rifle, anti-tank launcher, MK23 pistol, and XM312 (this is a sort of gun turret) in the game. They are so poor in terms of aim and damage effect. Customizing the weapons is not allowed or available (so far). I really wish I could see better weapons later in the game.

The “One-button” squad orders:

Using one keyboard button can issue two types of the squad commands – 1) move there & 2) mark the enemy to shoot. That’s all.

The first squad command is useless at all. Using the command, sure, I can move the squad where I like them to position, but the thing is, they just don’t sit there and wait for my next order. The squad just keeps following me. Especially, when I move forward from the point where I ordered the squad to position, they start moving from the position and go ahead of me… This makes it impossible that the squad cover me until I move from the point A to B…

Squad morale:

There is no command provided to give the rules of engagement like Rainbow series. The squad seems to get aggressive when the player moves ahead of the squads and attack the enemies. The squad seems to be passive when the player is hiding or avoiding the enemies…

The squad (will) never die:

They seem to be down on the ground when they take too much amos, but they just don’t die or the game doesn’t end at the point that the squad is down on the ground. When the battle ends to the checkpoint, the members of the squad who seemed to be taken down are around me. (I have not all members of the squad killed so far, the game might end when all the squad is killed…)

Only two weapons that the play can carry:

When I found this out, I was kindda upset. For the FPS games, I think, at least three weapons to carry must be allowed: the short – mid range weapon to assault, the mid – long range weapon to snipe and the powerful weapon like the BFG.

The “secrets” of the story are not provided in real time:

The player can collect the secrets, which are named “Dossires”, in the game. The “Dossires” are the record of the secrets in the story of the game, and are supposed to help the player get in the story of the game. However, the player can’t read them in the game. To read them, the player has to quit the game, go back to the main menu and select the menu item (“Dossiers”). This just ruins the story of the game ‘cause the player can’t get enough info. / back ground / episodes pertaining to what is going on now in the game in real time – would you really want to quit the game just to read the secrets you just collected when you are up & rolling in the game?

I just started the game but I’ve already had enough negative impression of the game. I hope that the first stage and early levels of the second stage were just the tutorial and the game will get interesting…

lol I stopped reading when I saw the words "starforce" in your previous post.

screeeeeech heh

rainwood, do me a favor and tell me if you were ever a fan of the Soldier of Fortune series. #1 was great, #2 was incredible for multiplayer (momma and I were on a TeamDM clan that was #1 for a bit at cpl years ago) and was really quite fun in single player, and now Soldier of Fortune 3: Payback or some such is out. I was sorta shocked to see it is published under Activision Value...and we all know from memory and such what the word Value usually means.

So I checked out the Activision page but couldn't get a whole lot until I googled and found the developer's forums. Well, it ain't Ravensoft this time. Some company I never heard of. And the forums are sorta small but already lit up like a magnesium flare over how the game was butchered.

momma and I really love the SoF series, but I don't see a demo anywhere, and you definitely like to play lots of games lol. We just love blowing off some dude's leg with a shotgun (the first two were most excellently BRUTAL when you killed someone lol).

ps: stay away from starforce stuff heh. I won't ever buy anything that is protected by starforce, no matter what game it is.

Beat the “BlackSite: Area 51”:

I didn’t rush to get the game done at all. But the game is too liner and no way to go back to the levels that I like to replay (‘’cause no quick save is allowed), so I had to move on and on… it ended with very disappointed ending… The last battle of the game was one of the poorest ones that I’ve ever played. I uninstalled the game from my hard drive. More negative comments:

No mini-map:

With he command to order the squad provided, why did the game not provide the mini-map to see and locate the position to deploy the squad? Yeah, I understand why there is no mini-map – almost all battles take place in the open space, so no need to use the mini-map, right? Ha, ha. I did not even use the squad to take advantage ‘cause the squad always followed me and I was able to win the battle without caring my squad.

The weapons collected in the previous check point can’t be carried over in the next check point:

I was pissed off when I found this out. Why did I have to start almost every new level with a handgun and the assault rifle?

I guess, I have to admit that there is one and only one battle that I enjoyed throughout the game; the battle against a huge monster on the bridge while I am on the chopper (you guys must have seen this battle in the game play preview movies). It was short but fun in terms of good graphics.

O.K, do I recommend this game?

No, man. Not at all.

lol I stopped reading when I saw the words "starforce" in your previous post.

ps: stay away from starforce stuff heh. I won't ever buy anything that is protected by starforce, no matter what game it is.

Angry_Games, actually, I could play the game without installing the copy-right protection un-lock driver, so the Win Vista installation issue might be resolved in the retail CD / DVD copy of the game.

rainwood, do me a favor and tell me if you were ever a fan of the Soldier of Fortune series. #1 was great, #2 was incredible for multiplayer (momma and I were on a TeamDM clan that was #1 for a bit at cpl years ago) and was really quite fun in single player, and now Soldier of Fortune 3: Payback or some such is out. I was sorta shocked to see it is published under Activision Value...and we all know from memory and such what the word Value usually means.

So I checked out the Activision page but couldn't get a whole lot until I googled and found the developer's forums. Well, it ain't Ravensoft this time. Some company I never heard of. And the forums are sorta small but already lit up like a magnesium flare over how the game was butchered.

momma and I really love the SoF series, but I don't see a demo anywhere, and you definitely like to play lots of games lol. We just love blowing off some dude's leg with a shotgun (the first two were most excellently BRUTAL when you killed someone lol).

Yes, I was a fan of the game, but I’s almost five years ago that I played the game. Regarding the game’s release, I’ve been wondering why the game has not been advertised very much (or almost no advertisement)… No info. in the ActiVision site, I am not able to find the game’s site yet, and rumor that the game would be released as one of the “value” games from the publisher… Actually, the game was not released as the “value” game, though.

Now I got four games that I have not played / completed on my hard drive; “Jericho”, “Overdose”, “Crysis”, and “Payback”. Oh, btw, I ordered the “Unreal Tournament III”, so it’ll be five. Since the “Overdose” is a kind of game to beat one level at one time, no rush to beat it soon. Probably, I will go back to “Jericho”….

Well this weekend I played Jericho, Call of Duty 4, and Crysis.

Hated Call of Duty 4. If orders weren't yelled at me every 4 seconds, I might consider playing it more than half an hour. I watched a buddy play through it in a day and was annoyed on every level - just shut up and let me play!

Oh, and I got tired of members of my team getting in my way. I really don't understand why it's frowned upon to shoot the (apparently) retarded members of your team. They're holding me back, which holds the team back.

Disliked Jericho, if only for the 'slow loading' loading screens. I mean, the level loads fast, but the screen itself doesn't. Fortunately, I stopped caring about the story anyways. I just found too many options in switching between characters and didn't really find any I liked. Oh, and it was annoying to HAVE to switch to certain characters in certain situations. Seriously, just let the AI open doors, I don't care.

I'm liking Crysis, which to be frank is pretty surprising. Haven't beaten it yet, though I might do it today. The 'powers' seem well balanced and runs quite smoothly. Much better gameplay that COD4 as far as I'm concerned, but I suppose it's a different style. I prefer seeing a set objective and accomplishing it myself, the way I want to do it, instead of having a set objective then told step-by-step how to accomplish it.

Oh yeah, one last point.

Q6600 @ 3.2GHz

7900GTO @ stock

2x2GB DDR2-800

The video card is somewhat lacking compared to the new ones, and I'm playing at 1920x1200. Most settings are set to medium, shaders set to low, still looks pretty damn good and runs smoothly.

I don't quite understand the phrase "Crysis is demolishing rigs by the truck load" (sorry Branjo). I'd say it's hardly 'demolishing' rigs. With a dual core and 8800GT 1680x1050 at medium settings should be more than playable, what more do you want? I mean, how many top-tier games come up and are completely playable at top settings? Think Doom 3, the best card when that came out was what, the 6800 Ultra? Two of them in Sli might have been good enough, but it wasn't completely playable until the 7800GTX came out. Just saying, games like this tend to start looking better and better as time goes on.

Yeah, I'd love to have a pair of GTX's for this game, but they're hardly necessary to enjoy it.