Can't enter bios anymore :/

Hello there. Just spent some time looking around the net for someone with a simililar problem as me, but with no avail.

Here's my story. My computer has been running fine for about three years now (factory bios version) but yesterday we had a quick power outage and everything in the house collapsed including my computer. When I tried to boot it up again it got to three LEDS and hung with pc speaker on.

I opened the case and moved around some RAM modules and got it to boot again. After a few tries I got the computer to show the windows loading screen. Fine I thought, and unplugged the power cord to be able to put the case back in proper position.

But now when I tried to start the computer I got "CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded". I continued to boot but it didn't recognise the proper boot order (INSERT SYSTEM DISK). I rebooted and tried to enter BIOS to set the order for the hdds, but couldnt enter. When I press delete to enter, the screen just turns black with with a flashing '_' in the upper left corner.

I now tried to reset CMOS, remove the battery and update the bios driver to the latest available from the site. It updated sucessfully but the same problem still exists. I just cant enter BIOS anymore. If I could enter I would be able to fix the boot order of the hdds and thereby be able to enter windows and get the system up and running again.

So im turning to you guys for help. Any suggestions for things that could be of help would be gladly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Your system is three years old. Could be that your BIOS battery has died. At any rate..the error message you got means that the CMOS data is corrupt.

Use a PS/2 keyboard.. as default does not enable USB Mouse/keyboard support. That is why most of us keep an old keyboard around just for that purpose. Without the PS/2 keyborad you cannot enter BIOS. At least you can see the BIOS screen. Some have not been as lucky.

:)

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the battery today but the problem is still there. Every time I boot up I got the "CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded". Which (as mentioned) probably is because of a corrupt CMOS. I did a 8 hour reset earlier but with no success.

Is it possible to completely reset/flash the CMOS? Or do you guys think the board is broken and that there is nothing I can do to fix it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the battery today but the problem is still there. Every time I boot up I got the "CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded". Which (as mentioned) probably is because of a corrupt CMOS. I did a 8 hour reset earlier but with no success.

Is it possible to completely reset/flash the CMOS? Or do you guys think the board is broken and that there is nothing I can do to fix it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yes you can reset/flash the BIOS.

Do an initial build with a single stick of DDRAM ,a DVD or CD drive. one video card , a Hard drive, PS/2 keyboard, monitor and a mouse.

You are going to need a PS/2 keyboard or you will not be able to access the BIOS.

When you remove the battery to reset the CMOS make sure the power cord is unplugged. Put the jumper in the reset position hold in the power button for a couple of seconds. put the reset jumper in the normal position after 10 minutes or so. install the BIOS battery. Plug in the power cord and power up the system. push the delete key on your keyboard to enter setup. Once you are in setup you can make the changes you need, including enabling legacy usb(mouse/keyboard) devices. At a minimum choose set optimal default settings. Be sure and save your setting before you exit the BIOS. When the system restarts you should be on your way again.

let us know how it works out.

regards