So I bought an Antec 900 to drown my sorrows :D

soundx, when ya start havin' dreams like that, its time to turn all the rigs OFF and go fishin' for a while!

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so I just got it all together and I need some work on cable management.

But honestly, I am very surprised I can get all the wires in and still have it looking decent.

Those are some OCZ *extenders" for HDD and GPU thst I used on the NEC DVD and HDD.

Basically tucked the wires underneath the HDD while I await shipment of the 6" SATA cables.

Looks a little "clunky" in the upper right hand quadrant but I have a couple of ideas.

So no laughin' as it's still a work in progress.

(It really does look awesome in person)

side-shot.JPG

Sideshot3.JPG

Sideshot3.JPG

Interior.jpg

Interior2.jpg

Interior3.jpg

A big chunk of "Ultra Flat Black" came off the DVD.

I'll be painting tomorrow.

May be a little too buzzed to work on the window tonight :D

Your wiring looks pretty damn good right now, Carl, if ya ask me!

That flat black interior looks nice!

Thanks dudes, that means a lot.

I think if you looked hard at the wiring, you'd probably agree I did what I could with what I had.

The cable that connects HDD LED, RESET, and PWR SWITCH to mobo is at least 3 inches short for proper cable management.

USB cable about the same amount.

(In fact, all the cables should be longer.) :)

There is no easy way to hide cables with this case.

But I can live with this while I try to figure out the window panel.

Maybe you could make a Channel Cover to hide the wires and still have proper manage ment....Not sure how or where you could get one made but I am sure you could figure it out...?

the dr's right, you could get one of those strips that's designed to go around the baseboards of a room, with the pull off front cover, and paint it with your ultra flat black... stick it right next to the MB and cut the proper holes for cables to come out the side. should be able to get a long one to cut to size at any 'home depot' type store...

• 2 weeks later...

Been a busy couple of weeks with work.

Spent a lot of time on cable management without using the hidden side (right).

Virtually impossible to do with this PSU, 2 Matrix Orbital displays, 3 HDDs.

(Man I wish I had a Corsair 620 to put in here, someone give me a link to any hot deals on it)

I really like the case but the re-build has been tough.

Started having issues with the NEC ND-3550A (I've used like 6 of them and never had ANY issues).

Just wasn't reading and writing like it should.

It's been flashed to the Liggy and Dee 1Y3 firmware for a year and been just awesome.

Just stopped reading anything yesterday.

Swapped out the black version with the silver version from rig #2 and of course it worked perfectly with the silver one.

I realized immediately that somehow the paint had gotten into the device. (fug)

I would have sworn that I covered every single hole to make sure it didn't happen.

But as I opened the drive I saw some tiny flecks of "Ultra-Flat Black" paint.

Very tiny, but something must have gotten in and clouded the lens (or it just died after two years which I doubt)

Gonna be a long project to try and clean this. Doesn't even seem worth it.

So I'm looking at a SONY NEC Optiarc AD-7170 (and I'll use the link so DIY-street gets a few scheckles)

With the rubber "U"/"C" channel molding on it doesn't look like the AC Ryan Mirror2 is going to work.

Just not enough room to use 3M 4010 tape to secure it to the side panel.

Here is the side taped and ready to cut

Taped-Side.jpg

AC Ryan two-way mirror panel and checking dimensions

Side-2.jpg

Now if I add the rubber molding I just don't see how I can use the 3M 4010 tape to secure it on the sides.

Side-3.jpg

options I see are:

1) forgetting about the rubber molding

2) securing the sides of the AC Ryan panel in a different manner

3) cutting a slightly narrower window in the "solid" panel (Side panels on the Antec 900 are reversible).

(You can order a new "solid" side panel from Antec for $13.95 USD plus shipping)

4) Forget about the AC Ryan mirror 2 and go get a standard piece of plexi

5) Try superglue between rubber molding and AC Ryan mirror2 (probably kill the side panel, Mirror2 and rubber molding in the process)

All of the above seem like valid approaches to the problem, just not sure which way to go.

Using the standard window is NOT an option (I'm stubborn) :D

Dang, I though I had this all planned perfectly.

(And I still need to extend all the leads from the top I/O panel)

Any ideas or thoughts let me know.

Yes, I realize you were expecting more of a success story but hopefully it may prevent someone else from making similar mistakes.

There is one more option for you. You can get some of that rubber molding that has slots on both sides, and then has a locking strip on the inside. You might even be able to make the window larger then, because with this kind of molding, the window needs to be small than the opening.