Seemingly Endless Trouble (BFG 7800 GT, Crashes)

Reinstalled a copy of XP Pro, followed by Lan Drivers, SP1, SP2, NForce Drivers, Video Drivers, ad 3dMark.

Ran 3dMark, and it passed nicely (although it looks like my rig isn't as flashy as I thought). I'll retest when I get the mem-stick back from OCZ. In the mean time, I'll start looking into getting a Vista Dual-Boot going.

It's pretty refreshing to have a stable computer! I think the bugs might be all gone!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick Reply

Running like something out of a dream. TF2 at full features sticks to 30-45 fps like glue. Turning it down keeps things over 45.

This also gave me an opportunity to reinstall my OS(s). I bought XP32/64 at the campus store, and I'll install Vista32 a little later. Giving each 200gb, 100gb, 100gb of space respectively.

The second OCZ stick comes in today, which lets me get back to my 3d modeling and animation work. ;)

Cheers! And thanks again!! =D

You are very welcome. Glad we could be of help. Good luck and hope you keep hanging around here even if you don't need help with something.

p.s. Please network for us and spread the good news. Site traffic and especially site traffic that generates purchases at our affiliate partners helps support this site. Remind everyone to use the clickable links found here at the Street. Thanks.

GBS,

Here is a cool little heatsink mod for your PWMIC;

dscf1112gm2.jpg

Then zip tie a 120mm fan to your hard drive cage on the right hand side of the PWMIC heatsink and that will go a long ways towards reducing the temperature of that chip.

Any old heat sink will work as long as you clean it up (especially the bottom seating surface) and then use some thermal tape to hold it to the PWMIC chip.

Right on! I'll have a look at that.

BTW: I got a package of dual-channel ram (two gigs), which was weird because I only sent back one lonely stick. Here's what's got me confused; I installed the dual channel in the two orange slots, and the old stick in the top-most yellow slot. It won't boot (3 LEDs on the diag). With the dual sticks in the orange slots the computer starts, which means I'm back to where I want to be. No real problem, so this is just a bonus if it's obvious what I'm doin' wrong. =D

I'm just wondering if there's some way to get these three sticks to work nicely together. They're the same model, make, and timings. Heck- if I didn't pull them out of a dual channel package, I'd expect them to be identical to my singles.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for the late reply GBS. I haven't checked up on this thread in a while.

Three sticks will not work on your board.

Your choices are 1-stick, 2-sticks or 4-sticks. Your board isn't designed to run with 3 DIMMs populated.

• 2 weeks later...

GBS,

Running that board with all four DIMMS populated will be problematic and might take a good bit of time to get stable with multiple BIOS tweaks involved. If you do choose to run four sticks, make sure that all four are exactly the same. Same speed, same manufacturer, same model number, same timings. And even at that it might be kind of stubborn.

If any way possible please consider selling your existing memory and opt for a 2X2gb kit instead and only populating two DIMM slots for dual channel and optimal performance.