Seemingly Endless Trouble (BFG 7800 GT, Crashes)

Why would you suspect the board to be at fault if the PSU cuts out when you shake it? Dead-Giveaway there...

I'd look at a better brand of PSU... go for an OCZ gamexstream 6/700W or Corsair HX620W or if you have the cash, a PC Power & Cooling unit.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you suspect the board to be at fault if the PSU cuts out when you shake it? Dead-Giveaway there...

I'd look at a better brand of PSU... go for an OCZ gamexstream 6/700W or Corsair HX620W or if you have the cash, a PC Power & Cooling unit.

Dunno. I guess I figured since it put out fine power except when vigorously shaken (and even then, we only noticed it cut power because the diagnostic device beeped; otherwise it seemed normal), and since it only flickered when attached to the mobo via primary power, that the flickering problem must be a short somewhere on the board.

I'll let you know what Aspire (Apevia) says.

Fast

What nice people. Here's the e-mail from Apevia:

Aloha Alejo!

Hmm. Nothing worse in computing than an 'unsolved mystery'. While it is

always hard to diagnose a system from afar, I will do my best. It does sound

like there could potentially be a problem with the PSU's rail voltages. If

you have a digital multimeter you could find out for sure ( I believe there

is software out there that can provide this information as well, though not

as accurately).

Since you are pass the 1 year warranty, I am supposed to have you return the

unit along with a payment of $25 in order to receive a new unit. However, if

you'd like to do an RMA I will treat the warranty as still active and send a

new tested unit after receiving the defective unit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank You!

Apevia

Seems like the easiest thing to do would be to go with the $25 replacement so we know for certain it's not the PSU.

I'll let you know what Aspire (Apevia) says.

GBS, Aspire is absolutely one of the worst power supplies you could ever own, and I've really tried to avoid the power supply issue since you indicated it was fairly new and I know that you are a student, and that usually means money is pretty tight. Here is a direct quote from Travis (aka - Angry) and the owner of this forum; "ULtra-X and Aspire psu's aren't worth $2 on any rig honestly putting them in your rig, regardless of what rig you run, is like playing russian roulette except instead of only a single bullet, you only get a single empty chamber (ie 5 bullets instead of one lol) There's no way I would ever even consider an Ultra psu for the weakest cheese system that was going to be given to my worst enemy."

Anyway, with that being said, please consider purchasing a power supply that is on the recommended list. You can find a good one here;

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73137

Or you can check the list over at DFI Global Support Forums here;

http://csd.dficlub.org/forum/showthread.ph...+power+supplies

Another good read is this one here; (power supplies to absolutely avoid with DFI boards)

http://csd.dficlub.org/forum/showthread.ph...+power+supplies

As already been mentioned, the OCZ GameXStream 600W is a solid unit, but there are several others also depending on your budget. Take a read through the thread I linked you to, and visit NewEgg.com via the links provided here at DIY-Street and look at some of the units and see if any of them are in your budget.

If you find one that you think works for you, please provide a link so I can "bless" it so to speak. If you are on a really tight budget, this unit here would serve you well (I've been running one for over a year now on a mid-range DFI setup);

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817189005

Quick Reply

I understand Wev. I would be able to foot an additional $130 for the OCZ unit, since I'm already enamored with their other products and service. Perhaps after I RMA this Aspire, I'll post it for sale on the campus BBoard. That would reduce the net-outflow of cash to within acceptable limits. :)

For now, I'm at a precipice. When I built this machine and began experiencing this problem, I swore to my various gods that I will never build another rig as long as I live. Having popped open the chassis now has rekindled my love for building these little monsters, but all the problems I'm encountering fill me with some pretty conflicting emotions. I guess if things start smoothing out, I wouldn't mind keeping it and upgrading components from time to time.

More to follow!

GBS,

That's a common emotion for any one of us that has boogered with a rig for seemingly weeks on end trying to iron out a problem.

Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and you'll get your current rig lined out. You really do have some pretty top notch components (sans the power supply of course).

Lets see what happens when you get your RMA memory back, get a good power supply in the rig and a fresh copy of Windows. That may be just the ticket to a fine running DIY rig.

Keep me posted.

Hello GBS.

You bought an awesome power supply by the way. I've had mine since about the first day they became available retail. And it has served me wonderfully since then.

For clarity, if you could just recap what your current failure modes are it would be helpful. The ticking time bomb power supply has been taken care of, so that's good news.

Now what are the remaining symptoms you are seeing? Still visual artifacts and system hangs?

And I would beg, buy or borrow a different gpu from someone or somewhere and plug it in just for tits and giggles.

You still waiting on your RMA RAM to arrive? How about the clean OS install? That done yet?

Quick Reply

In short, it seems the problem is that visual artifacts persist no matter how long the computer is left off. These artifacts have been, historically, correlated with an inability to boot to HDD or Optical. Bios and POST load fine.

The ticking and questionable power are gone.

I tried an alternate card a few days ago (before the PSU problem), and it worked fine. Radeon X400; but this failed 3dMark with a Device_Lost error. I haven't tested with that since.

BFG has offered to RMA this card, and I'm going to send it off. When this card was tested in another system, there were no visual artifacts, but it did choke under stress in the same way.

GBS,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Once you get all of your RMA stuff back, please let us know how everything turns out.

Remember to run memtest on your new memory as soon as you get it and report back on the findings.

Also, once you've confirmed memory and subsystem stability, a fresh install of the OS is mandatory at this point.