Sign in to follow this  
Guy BlueSummers

Seemingly Endless Trouble (BFG 7800 GT, Crashes)

Quick Reply

Oddly, I'm feeling more confidant even if things have taken a decided turn for the worse. I flashed the BIOS according to the WinFlash instructions via DFI, and the program reported back success. However, the unit won't boot now, and I fear that the flash may have actually failed.

I dispatched a note to DFI support. In the meantime, I've switched the CCMOS jumper and removed the battery in hopes that the board might repair itself.

More to follow...

**EDIT**

Silly me. One must reset the CMOS in order for the BIOS change to come into effect.

My new BIOS rev date is 4/6/2006

Wow, what a scare. I recommend 100% against using Winflash for flashing m/b BIOS. Even if DFI site does say Winflash is an acceptable alternative.

For BIOS flashing and in order of my personal preference;

TMOD's BIOS Flash CD

Floppy

USB

So did your m/b come back to life after to reset the CMOS? Please say yes!

Quick Reply

Thankfully it did! Woot!

The computer booted up like normal and the BIOS revision looks good. I installed the AMD Dual Core Optimizer, but 3dMark failed again. I have now splayed out my rig on my desk like some high school dissection. The dust is wicked.

I coordinated the hardware as you specified in your earlier post, but for some reason it won't get far in the boot order before it just reboots. The HDD and optical show up, and the memory check is fine. But after the PCI listing, it reboots; about where the CMOS stuff should be I think.

The board has memtest on it, so it seems I must get through this problem before I can check the memory.

Any thoughts? I'll keep poking it 'till it works.

Wow, what a scare. I recommend 100% against using Winflash for flashing m/b BIOS. Even if DFI site does say Winflash is an acceptable alternative.

For BIOS flashing and in order of my personal preference;

TMOD's BIOS Flash CD

Floppy

USB

So did your m/b come back to life after to reset the CMOS? Please say yes!

I second that! Don't ever use winflash again! lol

Quick Reply

Thankfully it did! Woot!

The computer booted up like normal and the BIOS revision looks good. I installed the AMD Dual Core Optimizer, but 3dMark failed again. I have now splayed out my rig on my desk like some high school dissection. The dust is wicked.

I coordinated the hardware as you specified in your earlier post, but for some reason it won't get far in the boot order before it just reboots. The HDD and optical show up, and the memory check is fine. But after the PCI listing, it reboots; about where the CMOS stuff should be I think.

The board has memtest on it, so it seems I must get through this problem before I can check the memory.

Any thoughts? I'll keep poking it 'till it works.

Is that with a fresh copy of XP?

Just after the listing of PCI devices (actually, a listing of devices that require an IRQ, so some of those are onboard devices) it will be trying to boot to what's set up in the BIOS to be the boot devices. Enter the BIOS and make sure that the boot order settings are correct. If they are, you might want to try removing the HDD and see how far you get.

CMOS is the settings that are saved on the chipset (beleive it or not... for the longest time I thought they were saved ON the BIOS chip, but I was mistaken) to tell the BIOS what to do with all the hardware (rough explanation :P) The BIOS POST is everything you see from the time you start the computer to the time it looks for a boot device (usually 2 screens) Sometimes you have other BIOS screens, usually to do with RAID, and in some older cards, video.

So... if you can get as far as hitting delete to enter the BIOS, you can get in an set memtest to run as well. give it a try and tell us where you get :)

GBS,

After you reset the CMOS, did you go back into the BIOS and load optimized defaults, save and reboot?

If not please do so, and then follow UKS' recommendation about boot order. Also, manually set your primary memory timings and dram voltage to those specified by your RAM manufacturer. Save and reboot.

Cheers.

Silly me. One must reset the CMOS in order for the BIOS change to come into effect.

My new BIOS rev date is 4/6/2006

I assumed he already did that to get it up and running... :P

I'll try not to run you off on tangents though wev... I know you've got a routine worked out already... I just like to put my .02 worth in sometimes; it makes me feel important :tooth:

GBS,

After you reset the CMOS, did you go back into the BIOS and load optimized defaults, save and reboot?

If not please do so, and then follow UKS' recommendation about boot order. Also, manually set your primary memory timings and dram voltage to those specified by your RAM manufacturer. Save and reboot.

Cheers.

I did reset using the optimized defaults (luckily it shows up in enough places in the documentation to be second-nature!). I'll manually set the memory timings now, and push that through.

Turns out by unplugging all of the disk drives, the system could continue to the memtest!

I neglected to mention that I'm using a raid0 setup, which was rather foolish of me to forget. I hope it has not caused you undue trouble!

**EDIT**

Memtest seems to be hit or miss. I turned my back to the computer for about 30 minutes while running memtest, and it rebooted on it's own volition. Since then, it seems to refuse to run the memtest like before. There is nothing plugged into the mobo now- no optical, no HDDs. What bothers me most is that it worked not five minutes ago. This machine isn't following the rules. lol.

Clear the CMOS again... load optimised defaults. while it's off, put 1 stick of RAM in the orange slot farthest from the CPU, and see if you can run memtest. If it fails, try the same with the other stick of RAM.

what's the model number of your ram and the timings you entered manually?

Quick Reply

I'm facing class tomorrow, and have a massive assignment due then. 'Fraid I'm too drowsy to clear the CMOS again and replace them ram tonight; I'll have a look later tomorrow.

In the meantime, the two sticks are identical, and detailed here:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...00_titanium-eol

The timings are 2-3-2-5.

Till then!

This one it turning into quite the booger.

All four power connectors attached to the m/b right?

Once you're actually into Memtest it should report errors and not cause spontaneous rebooting (at least it never has with me).

That brings us to power or heat. Instant shut down could be triggered by an overheating condition on the motherboard. Are you sure your cpu heatsink is making good contact with the processor?

Instant shut down could be triggered by an issue with the power source (interesting that your rig booted into Memtest when you had many of your devices disconnected) and that might indicate a power supply issue - something I'm sure you don't want to hear since you've already spent good money on an upgraded unit.

Have you tried running the rig with the power supply cord plugged directly to a wall socket instead of your APC?

And thank you for mentioning that your two WD's are in a RAID array. What SATA ports are they plugged into. Hopefully 1&2 or 3&4.

I'd for sure try SATA 1&2 first, if you're not already doing so.

Guest erico

Just out of curiousity...are you running your system at stock CPU clocks or is it overclocked? I haven't noticed you mention anything about it yet.

cheers