Sign in to follow this  
Hemidare

[Resolved] Windows Xp Home mp3 issues

Ok i have a customers computer that will not see her mp3 player. Nor will it see any other mp3 player ( i have tryed 3 different ones). All it says is that there are faster usb ports available and click here for a list of them. Needless to say her computer does not have usb2 support. And all of the mp3 players are usb 1 compatible.

Any ideas why her computer will not see these devices? I have updated everything on her computer and still no dice. I was thinking of reinstalling but i dont want to unless necessary.

Thanx let me know what you think. I just want it to work for her. :rolleyes:

Check to make sure some services are running. i know my Samsung 2GB model requires the Windows Driver Foundation service to be running or else it will just sit and charge without 'connecting'.

Start > Run > Services.msc

check down the list and just read off names and whatever description sounds like it would help, turn it on.

*edit* i know this is a very idiotic question to ask, but i've overlooked it before. did it come with any driver/software CD's?

Any USB settings in the BIOS that might relate to this issue?

Have you tried other USB devices ie mice,keyboards,flash drives etc

If its an old PC and old+usb1 seem to be the same nowadays you might want to ask her to buy a PCI USB card that should upgrade it to USB2 if all else fails.

Yeah i was thinking the same thing. The funny thing is that the external hard drive i bought for her works just fine just not the mp3 players.

You bought an external drive for a customer? She better be hot!

anyway, as far as the usb problem... is she running XP? Does it have SP2 installed? Latest Chipset Drivers... and as mentioned before, check any BIOS settings related to USB ports...

She Is! And she is running xp home and all of the service packs and latest chipset drivers are installed. I will check the bios and make sure it is a gateway 9550 btw!

I think your best bet is a PCI USB card, for faster transfers to and from her external hard drive, they're cheap anyway.

BTW

auron.jpg

Her hard drive died so i wont be able to do that...DOH! So a reinstall will be forth coming. She can't catch a break. thanks for the suggestion angry i will be throwing that in my little book of tricks.

no i am dealing with the aftermath of someone before. But they go down to ecuador on a regualar basis and everytime they get back there hard drives die. Or there hard drives die shortly after they get back. I wonder if it has to do with the toilets flushing backwards.